Video Tutorials

eyeye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read in one of these threads someone suggested these $50 online videos...
http://www.photoshopcafe.com/video/products/composition.htm was one. I have been shooting for a year with some success but am always looking to hone my skills and improve. Because I am above a beginner level, I am having trouble finding resources that are helpful and fit with my learning style (I really prefer video or hands on to reading). So I was thinking about trying these. Has anyone used them? Can you give me some feed back on their helpfulness to someone who has a year of shooting and s good basic understanding of the fundamentals (there is still alot more to learn though!!)?

Thanks so much :mrgreen:

Have you tried any kind of search on Google videos/Youtube? There is a ton of vids. I can't imagine that there would be nothing for you.

I've used the one on perfect exposure. For me, it opened up my eyes a lot. Now I undertand so easily why MY choices are superior to the camera's choices and HOW to get those results.

It is a short video, but made a nice difference in my pictures, especially in high and low light scenarios.

I recommend this one for sure. Basically, it is all about the ZONE SYSTEM for digital cameras AND how to apply it. It takes more than just looking at the video to get the most out of it, it takes USING it... and I am still getting it down after months of learning and often repeating the video when I have a few minutes.

For 50 bucks, it is a bargain, IMHO.

I'm picking up the one for Composition today and will be able to let you know how that one is in the near future. If it is of the same quality as Perfect Exposure, I will be very pleased!

Thanks everyone :) Would love to hear how it is when you have tried it Jerry

I just wanted to make the purchase now... seems their site is down?

I'll try again later.

Let's hope that it's a minor techincal glitch and they get it back up and running soon.

Have you tried any kind of search on Google videos/Youtube? There is a ton of vids. I can't imagine that there would be nothing for you.

Those videos are great for getting you started I use them a lot. However there is very little that deals with the stage in between beginner and advanced. I think the strategy there is to shoot a lot and get critiques.

I do not see these films as advanced or intermediate or beginner. They are pieces of a puzzle... information that is added to my repertoire to use and aid me to get better pictures. I see no levels, I just see information presented logically that I need and can use to augment my knowledge of how to take better pictures. None are anything more than basic simple pieces of information.

Well practiced "basics" lead into the intermediate levels.

Accomplished and effective usage of the "basics" and ability to mold them and use them at the right time/manner define expertise or advanced use.

I studied several martial arts for well over 30 years. There is very little more information that I know that cannot be leaned within 24 months by a new practitioner. However, I know how to use the same tools more effectively, in coherent, practiced and effective manner to attain specific goals without effort in a way that no beginner or intermediate user can... using 100% the same information given to the beginner.

Photography is the same. You have the beginners who enmasse and learn the basics... the intermediates who learn to put that same information all together, and the advanced users who KNOW how to put it all together in a polished, coherent, effective manner.

This methodology is not effective just for photography, that rule can be applied to almost any aspect of life. Stop seeing it as a problem or something lacking... see it as parts of a puzzle and a challenge... and when you have all the parts of your puzzle, it is the advanced user that can put all the parts of the puzzle together in the right places.

Just my point of view. :D

I know where you're coming from on both ends. One thing that helps bring you up from the beginner to the intermediate level is seeing the difference between the way they work and the way you work. When I was in martial arts I used to practice almost exclusively with guys that were 2-4X my age and 10-20X my experience level one thing I'll have to say is I learned relatively fast that way.

In this case, our instructor is the internet and our desire to practice and perfect the usage of the found info is our partner. ;)

Don't let it beat you up too often... lol!

This is true... I do have to say it was really nice when someone of my supposed belt-level came in from another school to spar I couldn't help but laugh when some of the "Black-Belts" from other schools came in and showed no skill whatsoever relative to me a lowly whatever belt is pretty much the middle rank for the below black-belt level. I really wish I still had the money to train it was loads of fun.

Stop seeing it as a problem or something lacking... see it as parts of a puzzle and a challenge... and when you have all the parts of your puzzle, it is the advanced user that can put all the parts of the puzzle together in the right places.

I really like this Jerry. I am def. going to start looking at photography in this light. I think it will help me. I always struggle with what to study next, whats the next step, the logical move. I think this methodology is brilliant and will help me immensely. Thank you for sharing!

I do not see these films as advanced or intermediate or beginner. They are pieces of a puzzle... information that is added to my repertoire to use and aid me to get better pictures. I see no levels, I just see information presented logically that I need and can use to augment my knowledge of how to take better pictures. None are anything more than basic simple pieces of information.

Well practiced "basics" lead into the intermediate levels.

Accomplished and effective usage of the "basics" and ability to mold them and use them at the right time/manner define expertise or advanced use.

I studied several martial arts for well over 30 years. There is very little more information that I know that cannot be leaned within 24 months by a new practitioner. However, I know how to use the same tools more effectively, in coherent, practiced and effective manner to attain specific goals without effort in a way that no beginner or intermediate user can... using 100% the same information given to the beginner.

Photography is the same. You have the beginners who enmasse and learn the basics... the intermediates who learn to put that same information all together, and the advanced users who KNOW how to put it all together in a polished, coherent, effective manner.

This methodology is not effective just for photography, that rule can be applied to almost any aspect of life. Stop seeing it as a problem or something lacking... see it as parts of a puzzle and a challenge... and when you have all the parts of your puzzle, it is the advanced user that can put all the parts of the puzzle together in the right places.

Must say: well put.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back