Vimy in detail

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took my family today to see the Vimy before it departs for it’s trans-Atlantic flight. The crew are behind schedule and work was progressing at a fast pace. I was able to get some nice detailed shots.

vimy2266.jpg

vimy3448.jpg

vimy3446.jpg

vimy3438.jpg

On a wood and fabric aircraft the fabric is stitched to each wing rib and then taped and covered with dope as you can see in this photo. Holes in the fabric are also repaired in the same way.

vimy2208.jpg

Working on the Canadian built engines.

vimy2220.jpg

The pilot, Mark Rebholz, talking to a person who's father once flew this type of aircraft.

vimy2219.jpg

Vinatge stearing wheel from a Handley Page S/400

vimy2225.jpg

Not exactly aerodynamically designed

vimy2249.jpg

Stitching that holds the fabric panels together

vimy2259.jpg

Berni_P8270069.jpg

Me, my dad and nephew who I plan to instill with the aviation photography bug

Happy Landings,

Eric

this is probably a dumb question, but what kind of range does the Vimy have? Is it going to have to make stops or is it gonna make it nonstop?

#6 :thumbsup:

I'm becoming a great fan of your work! :)

john3eblover said:
this is probably a dumb question, but what kind of range does the Vimy have? Is it going to have to make stops or is it gonna make it nonstop?

This aircraft will recreate the first non-stop flight across the Atlantic that was made in 1919. It will have to fly over 3,000 miles from St. Johns to Ireland. No islands or places to land. It has a top speed of 75mph and will take over 24 hours. There is no auto pilot so the crew of two will have to hold the wheel the whole way as it is not that stable of an aircraft. They plan to use period navigation gear but have a GPS sealed in a container just in case.

Eric

thanks for sharing Eric! the plane and shots are great!!! im sure your dad got some awesome shots too :thumbup:

These are amazing shots Eric. And it's good to see a family out enjoying these things together. I envy you, being able to get "hands on" that beautiful craft, but would not have been able to see it otherwise. Thank you so much for posting these.
Danny

Raymond J Barlow said:
Your Dad looks like an interseting character, what's his history with cameras and photography?? The Vimy looks like quite a craft! Please keep us posted on its progress.

My grandfather taught my father photography way back when and when I was nine he gave me my first camera, a Practica 35mm. He gave me the love of aviation photography but never did it professionally. I started working for mags as a side job about 15 years ago and have not looked back.

My dad is the little guy on the right in 1929 at St. Hubert, Quebec. Taken by my grandfather.
r10004.jpg

Just one of thousnads of images my father has taken over the years. This is a real classic
connie06.jpg

Those are absolutely stunning photos, thank you. I have several hundred 35mm slides of the Confederate (now Commemorative) Air Force shows when they were based in Brownsville before the move to Midland-Odessa. Wish I could afford to have the best ones scanned. I certainly do appeciate those detail shots, perfect in every way.

Most reactions

Back