LeeLeeMelis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Maine-but currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan
Website
www.mwbphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy a new computer and the only computer Dell will send to my FPO address is only offered with Vista. Should I just cave in and buy it with Vista? Are the problems associated with Vista for all PC users or mainly photographers? Help me out, my old Dell is becoming a doorstop very quickly. Thanks:)

first of all, why does it have to be Dell ???

I think you should just get a Mac

If you really want a PC, build it yourself. It really isn't that hard, you make it how you want it, you install what you want, and it's cheaper than buying a pre-built.

If you're not willing to build something yourself, than get a mac.

i agree and disagree at the same time. I love how mac users always think that just saying "just get a mac" is all the reason you need. I wish i could afford a mac, but they're WAY expensive compared to PCs. I have had many problems with vista other than occasional ticks and bugs (same with XP though) i think macs look very nice, but i love being able to right click instead of going up to the top bar or hold the command key, from what i heard , you can get a LOT of memory put in a mac, wich would be nice, but not worth 3000 dollars for a power mac... I'll probably always be a pc user just because i'm used to it, and some of the programs i use (solidworks ) dont work on macs yet. I like vista though. a lot of people on here would beg to differ with me...

ooOOooo sounds like mac vs windows/pc is brewing..

Anyways.. I'm a Mac user (love it), but my work (Software) has me involved i mainly UNIX and Windows environments. We have just started to incorporate Vista and I have to say i'm not impressed. We've discovered a lot of issues (blue screen is still alive and well). I have also noticed the higher requirement for hardware and resources... the improvements to the GUI just isn't worth it in my opinion. My work's workstation is on XP... it took a while.. but it is a workable solution. I say wait until they work out the bugs/issues and third party vendors catch up with drivers.

If the machine is arriving with Vista preloaded.. go ahead have fun... but be prepared to deal with updates as they are made available.

How many times have PC windows users upgraded? Once per year? twice?

IMO, Macs have longer longevity as each release of Mac OS doesn't leave the current user base behind without much luck or drivers to run their current stuff. Each release doesn't have a new higher set of requirements to meet. I've got a G3 thats well over 4 years old running the latest and greatest Mac OS version as fast/quick as the day it was first purchased.

So how many people who upgarded or thought about upgrading to Vista realize that some of their hardware isn't supported? video card drivers anyone?

Its true.. you do get what you pay for.... Have you ever compared the inside of a dell workstation to a Mac powermac? Night and day.

I like to say that Apple's and other well designed machines are not expensive its just that Dell (and the like) are cheap (cheaply made). They simply are charging for the effort placed into their product. I remember paying $6K for a CAD workstation a decade ago. A well equiped Powermac will still go for $6k.

I just bought a laptop from Dell about 3 weeks ago and I must say that I love it. It runs on Vista which is fine as long as your hardware supports it. Chances are that if Vista is the pre-installed OS then everything should work just fine. Sure upgrading may cause some compatability issues but those will be resolved as the OS has only been available for a few months and it takes time for older drivers to come out. I bought a refurbished Inspiron e1405/640m with a 2.0 ghz Core 2 Duo processor and 160gb 5400 rpm hard drive with 2048mb RAM for a $1000. The same computer with the Apple logo cost almost $3000. No OS is worth that much in my opinion. If you know what you're doing Vista will be just fine. Or if you really want XP call Dell and I bet they would be willing to put that on it for you instead.

some people cant afford the extra cost of a mac. this doesnt need to become a pc vs mac arguement, i'm so sick of hearing those. If you can afford a mac, i guess maybe thats the better choice, but make sure all your software that you use is supported. (same goes for a vista PC) i dont really like how some people say its better to wait for all the bugs to get worked out though, because you're still going to get them fixed with updates, its not like you're stuck with the problems for the life of the pc. and "usayit" what do you mean by how many times do windows pc users upgrade? are you talking memory hard drives? service packs? i dont quite follow you.

I run Vista, and it hasn't interferred with anything I do photo-wise yet (though I don't do anything complicated with Raw files or the like). Installing anything is slightly annoying, because it keeps asking you if you trust the company supplying the software....but other than that, I like it.

WOW, I really didnt want to create a Mac vs. PC debate, that's what my four years of college was for. Anyway, I want to go with Dell because I have a dell now and like it and trust the company. They're also very good about discounts to military, as my husband is, and I try to support companies who offer that support. I do a lot of photo editing in PS and hope to start using RAW files soon. I asked and asked if they could just put XP on the one system that they offer to send to an FPO address. I dont really want to mess with building my own computer, my husband did it and I just have dealing with hardware. I dont have anything against Macs, I'm just used to a PC my customers and all of the people I work with use all use PC's, Mac's are just too expensive for that little logo. It's not just as simple as saying, Get a Mac.

Thank you so much for your input, more research has to be done before I make a purchase, I appreciate your help!

some people cant afford the extra cost of a mac. this doesnt need to become a pc vs mac arguement, i'm so sick of hearing those.

Yup.. can't afford but if you add up the expense of the constant upgrades that the typical PC user goes through... What is the recommended Vista requirements now?

My OLD G3 is 800mhz 256mg memory running Mac OS X lastest. Its the exact same image as my G5 1.8 Dual with 4gb of memory. It doesn't run as fast as my G5 but it runs just as fast as the day the G3 was brand new.

i dont really like how some people say its better to wait for all the bugs to get worked out though, because you're still going to get them fixed with updates, its not like you're stuck with the problems for the life of the pc.

Meanwhile, you are fustrated and some issues might be months off before you get a resolution for microsoft. You paid good money.. you shouldn't have to live with the issues until it is operating without fustration. I personally have my lively hood depending on an operating workstation.. I will stick with XP (and mac) unti Vista is working properly.

I typically don't run the latest and greatest... I don't like being the guinea pig. My work demands that we don't run into issues... w examine all uprades (including vista) closely before jumping in. Most will run a little behind the latest with the exception of security related items.

and "usayit" what do you mean by how many times do windows pc users upgrade? are you talking memory hard drives? service packs? i dont quite follow you.

simple answer.. EVERYTHING.

People complain why Apple doesn't support more hardware.... There's a reason... You don't end up with a configuration that half baked and half supported. Its easier to provide excellent support for the few than support for everything under the sun.

Many UNIX enterprises are designed in the same manner. HPUX will only officially support HP branded equipment.. Why? Proper QA and testing assures a min. level of quality. If you have an issue.. you deal only with HP not Microsoft and ATI (with them pointing to each other in blame.)

It also costs money to provide a good product. It is my opinion that it costs a lot of money to make a good working computer product. Apple isn't expensive its just that Dell (and the likes) have cheapened.

BTW.. I own 3 dells and 2 emachines in my basement... No problem with them but I went into the whole thing knowing very well what I was getting into. It fits my needs.. cheap hardware..

I think you should just get a Mac

:heart: Truth!

some people cant afford the extra cost of a mac.

Depending on what he is paying for the Dell, a Mac Mini might be just fine for him. I know what you mean about a PC v. Mac thread, but don't discount Mac out of price alone. I'm an admin of a windows network all day long(and I use and support Vista), and thankfully I get to use my Mac at night. Really one of the best purchases I've ever made. My 1st gen mini still runs OS X reasonably well(though a core duo iMac is my standard machine), where as Vista complains about my core 2 duo tablet PC with 2gb of memory not being "good enough" on their ratings index. Go figure.

OP, do whatever makes you happy. Vista is annoying, but usable.

I started college with a pc(IBM based machine back in 1984.) I have always had a pc ever since. That was until last month when I decided to purchase a Mac. My iMac is fantastic. I love it completely. I am still learning but it is really very easy.

I used to be hardcore opposed to Macs. These walls started falling when I got an iPod. I have not been disappointed by Apple since.

JMHO

Most reactions

New Topics

Back