Walgreens lost a roll of my film..

I do have a current flatbed scanner/printer made by Canon. It's not great, and I have tried to scan negs with it before but with zero luck.

But my biggest concern is getting rid of the red hue on color negatives after they are scanned. Does anyone know of any software (preferably free) that will pretty much get rid of the red hue for you? One time I did it successfully using nothing but Photoshop, but I can't for the life of me find the tutorial for the method that worked. I've tried other methods with zero luck.

I do have a current flatbed scanner/printer made by Canon. It's not great, and I have tried to scan negs with it before but with zero luck.

But my biggest concern is getting rid of the red hue on color negatives after they are scanned. Does anyone know of any software (preferably free) that will pretty much get rid of the red hue for you? One time I did it successfully using nothing but Photoshop, but I can't for the life of me find the tutorial for the method that worked. I've tried other methods with zero luck.

When I say flatbed, I don't mean just a regular document scanner. It's specifically for film. Most should come with software.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...gative scanner&sprefix=flatbed+negati,aps,318

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is possibly the best argument to go digital I have ever heard.

^ I'd say it was the best argument I've ever heard for avoiding drug store film processing.

This happened to me actually, dropped off a test roll of film one night and when I came back to get it the next morning it was nowhere to be found. Talked to a manager and they ended up realizing they had given my roll of film to a different customer. She called them and they said they would send it back... after they finished their drive from florida to some northern state... I ended up getting the film back about 3 weeks later and they gave it to me for free and a $20 giftcard.

^ I'd say it was the best argument I've ever heard for avoiding drug store film processing.

I won't be making that mistake again.

But yeah I think I'm going to invest in at least a decent scanner that comes with software for converting negatives. I like doing things myself as much as I can because I feel like I learn a lot more that way. so it's definitely going to be a worthwhile investment.

Just about any digital photography software should alow you to change the overall hue, or reduce the red. Personally I like Faststone (which is free) Photoshop should allow you to work on selected areas of the photo instead of an overal colour shift but I've not yet spent the time to get to grips with it.

Just about any digital photography software should alow you to change the overall hue, or reduce the red. Personally I like Faststone (which is free) Photoshop should allow you to work on selected areas of the photo instead of an overal colour shift but I've not yet spent the time to get to grips with it.
As far as getting rid of the red base color of the film, any "film scanner" should do that automatically. I'm talking about scanners with an upper light to shine through the negatives as you're scanning.

Yeah I took a roll there and they somehow developed it in sepia and screwed up my prints. Never going back.

I knew from the get go that I shouldn't have gone to Walgreens, I just knew something would go wrong. But I just moved to a new, more rural, area and Walgreens and Walmart are the only two places within an hour drive from me that develop film (after this experience, I will be making the hour+ drive to go to a more professional place). Last Tuesday I dropped off 3 rolls of 35mm film at my local Walgreens. Two of the rolls were 36 exposure, and one was 24. Well yesterday I went to go pick them up. The lady only handed me two packs of photos. When I told her "I dropped off 3 rolls," she looked again and then told me "I only see two." So I bought the two and took them home.

Now, that's not all, they did more than just lose a roll. The 24 exposure roll only came back with 5 shots, the other 19 are god knows where. They only got one of the three rolls right and the others were a complete failure.

Now I have a question. Has anyone had a place lose your rolls of film? Is there anything that can be done to be compensated for their mistake(s)? I hardly remember what was on that roll they lost, but I think it's photos from my recent family vacation to South Carolina, which is something I'd really like to see. I know now to never go to Walgreens anymore for this purpose, but I am curious as to what I can do (if anything) to get something out of them losing 55 of my exposures. They should at the very least pay for my roll that was lost.

The first thing you want to do is look at the lab's envelopes that the negs and prints are in. It's a fact of processing that accidents happen, so there is usually a disclaimer on there stating what liability they will accept and what they will do in case of a lost or damaged film. When you give them film to process, you are accepting those terms. Most labs will only give you replacement film.

As for the roll with only 5 shots on a 24 exposure film, the first thing you want to do is not worry so much at how many prints you got until you look at the negatives. Even if there were only 5 properly exposed frames, you should get back all the negs. Look at the 19 frames that weren't printed. Are there images? Are they printable? Are they damaged? Blank, mangled, color shift.... No or unprintable images can be a result of camera failure, an opened back, nasty chemicals, printer malfunctions... so you can't even get an idea of who is at fault until you look at the negs.

This stories are becoming more and more frequent. Looks like there is not enough colour film in action, to keep developing services busy all the time. They cut costs by "extending" the life of chemicals and by employing untrained people. Well, in this big organizations nobody cares, digital is the business. The only solution is to develop "at home" or find good lab which still exist.

The drugstores in my area have never been the greatest option, you could tell they'd run the film thru without adjusting (although apparently the machines used in more recent years do a better job automatically without needing someone to make adjustments so much).

With a couple of local camera stores having closed and the instate camera store chain closing the location closest to me, I started sending out. I agree, look at the negatives. And usually there's some sort of disclaimer about the resulting quality of the images (more or less that if you get some lousy exposures there's only so much they can do!). Or some places might have on their info. that they don't assume responsibility for how the film turns out. Or if it gets lost, or whatever.

edit - Might be too late by now but I suppose you could have asked to talk to the manager at least about the roll that got lost, it could be around somewhere. I've had that happen, maybe a roll of B&W was put somewhere different than the color film since it takes different processing, but it was there in the store just had gotten separated from the rest.

Last edited:
In 1972, I was on a Science Club trip to the national Zoo. Hsing-Hsing and Ling-Ling, the Giant Pandas obtained by Nixon on his trip to China, were the big draw. It was in the middle of the week, so there were no crowds. The keepers were excited because Hsing-Hsing had been marking his territory. Yep, I got a snapshot of the panda spraying the window.

A couple of days after I sent the film to be processed, Hurricane Agnes hit DC and flooded the lab. My roll was one of the (apparently) many lost.

Was it Mystic or Clark's? Sent in a roll or two and got somebody else's pictures back and none of my own. I called, complained, mailed the photos back on my own nickel, and got in return a credit for developing. Which I never used. Mystic did a good developing/printing job at higher cost.

After that I became obsessive about labeling my cassettes. I'd stick on a label and print my name & address. Not that it'd help once the film was out of the cassette.

It is possible to scratch your ID on the leader that sticks out of the cassette (may stick out; ought to stick out, because if it doesn't there is more chance of light leakage through the seals). That ought to protect you if anything can. Short of snapping a pic of your business card on every roll.

Last edited:
I have the Canon 5600F flatbed scanner ( http://www.amazon.com/Canon-CS5600F...3348&sr=1-6&keywords=flatbed+negative+scanner ) that also does film. I scanned today the film I got from developing. I also had that roll printed there. In all my print photos, the sky is completely white and the colors are not the best (though I know I didn't overexpose THAT much). When I scanned the film, I discovered that the sky is very visible in every photo, the colors are much better AND that the film is scratched - severely. This is the 2nd roll of film I get scratched from them - films used on different cameras. Rather annoying.
Anyhow, that scanner is really nice - it's a normal scanner, so if you ever want to replace the one you use for documents as well, take this one into consideration. It also comes with a nice holder in which you can place 6 shots.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back