wanted wide angle fish eye lens for nikon d3100

greedykind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all i am new here and to photography so i have alot to learn but i am looking for a cheaper wide angle fish eye lens to try out before i purchase an expensive one.Thanks and love all the great photos i am sure i will learn alot here.Charlie

The rokinon 8.5 is good. It's all manual but real easy to focus so its not a big deal.

Wide angle ≠ fisheye. Which one are you really looking for?

Are you interested in a Nikon 10.5mm f2.8?

Wow i AM LOOKING FOR A FISHEYE LENS AND ALSO WIDE ANGLE LENS IS THERE 1 IN THE SAME?

Wow i AM LOOKING FOR A FISHEYE LENS AND ALSO WIDE ANGLE LENS IS THERE 1 IN THE SAME?

No. Wide-angles and fisheyes are two different animals.

There's two flavors of fisheyes. Corner-to-corner and circular.

C-T-C gives you 180° from corner to corner. Circular give you a circular image the same size as the short dimension of your sensor.

Fisheyes do not even attempt to render straight lines straight. Wide-angles do.

Fisheye:

C-T-C:

Pagoda1small.jpg

Circular:

FisheyeinGIMP.jpg

Wide-angle:

DrugStore_Chemicals_9550_post.jpg

ETA a couple better examples:

Fisheye:

FE02.jpg

WA:

10mmorigd1.jpg

Notice the ceiling grid in particular. Although the FE gives you a much wider FOV, straight lines are curved... the further from the center of the image, the more distortion is rendered.

Some software can correct for this, but you lose a lot of the image doing so.

Fisheyes are unusual and many end up finding them difficult to work with. Given their price, not many delve into one, and many who do end up making paperweights out of them or just selling them. however, if you're willing to really work with one, you can get some smashing shots:

FisheyeBeforeCorrection.jpg

PedBridge02small.jpg

HeartPond1small.jpg

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Being new to photography, I suggest the tokina 12-24... You'll need the DX II to autofocus on your body (or get the DX and just focus it manually).. it's way cheaper than the nikon wide angle, and it's built like a tank... Instead of spending money on software for image corrections, i'd spend money on a lens that'll get you out there and shooting.... Unless you're looking for the distortion explained 2 posts up there ^^^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back