Wanting some opinions on a Nikon DSLR.

Valvaren

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i'm looking into getting a new camera in January and want to stick with a Nikon as that is what I have now and it is what I'm learning on.

I have about an 800 dollar budget and am looking for people to give me their experiences with cameras they have so I can get the best for what I want. I'm really into macro and I like the look of HDR so I want something that has good lenses or is just basically good with either of those.

There is a deal near me for a D5100, 18-55mm VR lens for $780. Now if that is a good deal i'm not sure but I read a review stating to not buy it with that lens and get a 35mm F1.8 lens.

Since my camera doesn't have the ability to swap lenses i'm not really familiar with what is better for what and plan on learning that as I get the hang of what I have now so i'm not sure if I should bother getting that lens or save the extra money for a better lens or even just buy a $800 dollar body with no lens.

Any help, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get a D90. The D5100 lacks an internal focus motor so you'll have a wider range of lenses with the D90. Not sure how video compares between the 2 but an IFM alone would make me want the D90 over the D5100.

Just my $0.02.

Unless you have a pretty hefty lens budget, most of those "wider range of lenses" amej8 is referrring to are not inexpensive. The fact is, most of the lenses likely to be in your price range all have a focus motor in them so the D5100 doesn't need a focus motor in it.

Granted there are some lenses, like the Nikon AF 80-200 mm f/2.8 (won't auto focus on a D5100) that costs half what the AF-S 70-200 mm f/.8 VR II (will auto focus on a D5100) costs. But the AF 80-200 mm f/2.8 is still a $1200 lens ( the AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8 VRII is $2400). But here the difference in cost is about way more than just the auto focus motor.

In fact the D5100 image sensor and video pretty much beat snot out of the D90.

The D90 is "Jessica Simpson". She was hot...at one time...but she's been bypassed...the D5100 is uh....hmmm...lemme see...Kristen Stewart...yeah, I guess she'll do...

Ok, I will admit the D90 joke was funny.. but I have the d90 (recently upgraded to a d700) if you can swing the 7000 do that one, but I LOVE my d90, it has good iso, great functions and auto focuses with all the lenses that I need it to... definitely recommend the d90.

So who is the Britney Spears?? (i.e. was hot at one time...had a few bad moments but is still sticking around)

Britney Spears is not a camera body..she is a LENS!!! She is the Canon 10-22 EF-S...the one that simply breaks into two pieces when stressed...

Unless you have a pretty hefty lens budget, most of those "wider range of lenses" amej8 is referrring to are not inexpensive. The fact is, most of the lenses likely to be in your price range all have a focus motor in them so the D5100 doesn't need a focus motor in it.

Granted there are some lenses, like the Nikon AF 80-200 mm f/2.8 (won't auto focus on a D5100) that costs half what the AF-S 70-200 mm f/.8 VR II (will auto focus on a D5100) costs. But the AF 80-200 mm f/2.8 is still a $1200 lens ( the AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8 VRII is $2400). But here the difference in cost is about way more than just the auto focus motor.

This is a load of malarkey...

The 35-70 2.8 can be had around $300 vs the alternative around $2000. The 80-200 2.8 can be had around $600 vs the alternative around $2400 . The 50mm 1.8 can be had around $90 vs the alternative at $220. Throw in the ability to fire off camera flashes remotely while retaining TTL, and the money really starts to add up.

Then add dual control wheels, exterior controls, fp sync, etc, etc, etc and the D90 pretty much beats the snot out of the D5100.

This is a load of malarkey...

The 35-70 2.8 can be had around $300 vs the alternative around $2000. The 80-200 2.8 can be had around $600 vs the alternative around $2400 . The 50mm 1.8 can be had around $90 vs the alternative at $220. Throw in the ability to fire off camera flashes remotely while retaining TTL, and the money really starts to add up.

Then add dual control wheels, exterior controls, fp sync, etc, etc, etc and the D90 pretty much beats the snot out of the D5100.

I sir agree, point well made.

Kerbouchard leaves out some information.

For instance, the $600 80-200 mm f/2.8's are all the much older, 2 generations back, push-pull to zoom, used lenses that cannot be bought new.

$1200 (new) is the approx price for the current 80-200 mm f/2.8 two-ring.

There are far fewer less expensive AF lenses, than there are more expensive AF lenses.

And like I said the D5100 image sensor and video beat the shot out of the D90.

But no, I didn't list every difference in the features between the 2 cameras.

And I'll repeat - "The fact is, most of the lenses likely to be in your price range all have a focus motor in them so the D5100 doesn't need a focus motor in it."

Last edited:
The $600 80-200 mm f/2.8's are all the much older, 2 generations back, push-pull to zoom, used lenses.

$1200 (new) is the approx price for the current 80-200 mm f/2.8 two-ring.
Yes, and neither one of them will autofocus on the D5100.

FWIW, those push pull lenses still work just fine. Like everybody is so fond of saying around here, the lenses will last forever. Just because there is a newer model out there didn't make those older pro lenses stop taking pictures. It just made them fantastic bargains and a whole lot of bang for the buck.

Britney Spears is not a camera body..she is a LENS!!! She is the Canon 10-22 EF-S...the one that simply breaks into two pieces when stressed...

I guess maybe she could also be a P&S - lasted a long time, but everybody's had her...and, while she still works after all these years, her technology is outdated and someone else can do it better.

The D90 is "Jessica Simpson". She was hot...at one time...but she's been bypassed...the D5100 is uh....hmmm...lemme see...Kristen Stewart...yeah, I guess she'll do...

I'd still hit it. (please don't ban me for life...)

Most reactions

Back