Wanting to jump into automotive photography

Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For one reason or another, automotive photography is an insider secret. I am going to be trying to make a rig in a few weeks here and was wondering if anybody has a rig setup they are willing to share or at least help me get started in making one.

Or even if anybody has some links? I have a seen a few that have caught my eye but trying to have as many options as possible before i dive in building...

Thanks a lot!

What do you mean by insider secret? It's photography like anything else. No black magic, no hidden agendas... lol

When you say "a rig", what are you talking about?

Automotive photography... a camera and if taking pics in the dark, a tripod and/or a flash. No secrets there, I promise.

You mean those mounts that strap on to the front of cars to take shots while racing arent you?

What do you mean by insider secret? It's photography like anything else. No black magic, no hidden agendas... lol

When you say "a rig", what are you talking about?

Automotive photography... a camera and if taking pics in the dark, a tripod and/or a flash. No secrets there, I promise.

LOL, by insider secret i mean 90% of the people you see will not show you their home made rig or help you out at all when it comes to building one. Most of the time, when people do show it it is a very sub-par rig that doesn't seem worth trying to build. Obviously, it is just that competitor edge they want to keep but it makes it very hard to get started. I understand that it is kind of like going to a glamour photographer and asking them for their PP work or exact setup but even then you can find a few willing. (I think?)

You can buy rigs for 800+ but they can be made just as good for around $100. That is why i am looking for custom built.

Yeah Jimmy, exactly what i want :)

Where have you seen them for sale? If you could get your hands on one, or at least get a good look at it you should have a pretty good idea what the finished product needs to look like.

I found this picture (kinda small, can't see the details very well): http://di1.shopping.com/images/pi/e4/c8/84/41933605-177x150-0-0.jpg
Doesn't look like it would be all that hard to make. It's basically a tripod with suction cups.

http://www.automotiverigs.com/product.html that is what they are

O|||| - i have seen those and they do seem pretty simple. I guess, the ones i am looking for, extend out a good 10 + ft in order to get the whole car like in the link.

I was playing around with a design on paper last night and i think i came up with something i might be able to use and work with.

Still open to all ideas though as i know nothing about metals and which is strongest and has most... not sure the word but hey! this is a photography forum...! So, i can say the metal that has the most VR and wont shake the camera :)

Geez, i feel like there was just a thread in the last few months about this. There was a picture of ones. Apparently you need to buy these big suction cups then the bogen superclamps. Then you probably will need to weld up rig that will hold 3 of these mounts then have an arm that will hold the camera.

Awesome link VI!

Y'know, i have seen this thread before but kinda skimped through it quickly because the guy used magnets... I then realized that it wont be much to get a few suction cups and alter it to do it that way..

Thanks

Well after seeing that link, I'm wanting to go build one of these. LOL.

I've yet to hear anyone chime in on the factor of the rig coming off and trashing your camera as well as scratching up the vehicle... any comments on that? I have a fairly expensive camera (1DMKII) not to mention it is quite heavy with the added weight of the batteries that come with this particular model. So Makes any forces on the camera twice as unstablizing.

Well those are made for what they do, they probably use those very strong suction cups, ones used to handle glass and such.

They can probably hold a hundred pounds, just my opinion tho, its a good idea to find out but id trust a good quality one

I don't think the cars are going very fast either, probably not much chance of damaging your gear.

You don't have to be going 80mph for the photo to look like you are. High speeds would probably cause too much vibration.

ive never done it before but I bet you can do it in 5MPH speeds, its all about shutter speed

Most reactions

Back