34j6c2f.jpg

TV:1/250 Sec
Av:6.3
ISO:800
Lens: 18-200 mm
Canon 20D
Flash 430 EX II

Hi,

Purely from a pro viewpoint, the shot is nice but there are a couple of points I would fix.

* the line between the background and the base is obvious and this is throwing off the image immediately. I would suggest using a larger single piece of card, such as A1 to form both the background and the base with a gradual slope between both to stop any sharp lines forming.

* the frame is slanted, an immediate no-no

* the single flash is not strong enough on its own for this image, although I realise we work with what we have; a smaller aperture would have been better to keep all the image sharp, particularly the water to the top of the frame. There are some nice crisp lines in the water in the left of the frame, I'd like to have seen these being duplicated throughout.

* the placement of the camera is too high, ideally I would like to have seen this with the camera pointing straight into the glass and not down at it

* the choice of glass is wrong for this photograph, the strawberry is being cut by the lines of the glass and this doesn't add to the overall image. If you wanted to use this type of glass for this affect, I would turn it slightly so it is balanced towards the camera but I don't think the affect is good.

I would suggest using a black card under the white base, with a hole in the base cut out so that the glass actually sits on the black card. This will show up the edges of the glass, these are particularly lost at the top of the glass where they blend too much into the background. Again, a lower position of the camera will ensure the black card is not being seen.

Its a nice image but there is a lack of attention to detail here that is preventing it from matching the standard of stock photography around.

Steve

Personally for me, it's a nice shot but the cup is crooked and it makes the pic look off.

I am a total newbie here. But, when I look at this pic, I actually really like some of the details that Steve didn't care for. The line of the bast against the background makes it feel a little more "real world" and a little less photo studio staged IMO. Same with the lines in the glass...I think it adds a touch of reality to the pic because we've all seen glasses that have those lines and are not perfectly smooth. Same with camera positioning, noone looks at a glass from eye level...you are always looking at least slightly down at one. i also don't know that a black card would have added to the image...part of what is SO striking here is the purity and simplicity of the red on white contrast. Again, all of these are just my opinion as an untrained viewer.

Hey, frist of all, Thank you sooo much for your kind comment, and thanks for the tips.

as you can see, am just a photographer who is watching a tv, and out of suddent i get the light bulb, so i turn off the tv, and try my best to make the picture in my mind into real.

if you saw all my pictures, all the pictures i did, are made by no budget at all. and thats why am trying to do all the time, trying my best to aviod spending money for the gadets that makes my picture looks "outstanding" and try to make them looks "Realistic"

i heard lot of ppl telling to me, that my pictures looks real, cause i make it with the tools that i have at home, and i make it looks easy to capture.

yes in this picture i wish i used another cup, but i didnt had another better looking cup then this.

what am trying to say here, if its personal work, try your best to aviod speding money, and if its for work, there is money in it, then go ahead and spend in limited budget!

thats the way i think, you might have different opinon.

thats all i can say for now.

Again, Thanks for your comment i learnt few good stuff from it :)

Hi,

Purely from a pro viewpoint, the shot is nice but there are a couple of points I would fix.

* the line between the background and the base is obvious and this is throwing off the image immediately. I would suggest using a larger single piece of card, such as A1 to form both the background and the base with a gradual slope between both to stop any sharp lines forming.

* the frame is slanted, an immediate no-no

* the single flash is not strong enough on its own for this image, although I realise we work with what we have; a smaller aperture would have been better to keep all the image sharp, particularly the water to the top of the frame. There are some nice crisp lines in the water in the left of the frame, I'd like to have seen these being duplicated throughout.

* the placement of the camera is too high, ideally I would like to have seen this with the camera pointing straight into the glass and not down at it

* the choice of glass is wrong for this photograph, the strawberry is being cut by the lines of the glass and this doesn't add to the overall image. If you wanted to use this type of glass for this affect, I would turn it slightly so it is balanced towards the camera but I don't think the affect is good.

I would suggest using a black card under the white base, with a hole in the base cut out so that the glass actually sits on the black card. This will show up the edges of the glass, these are particularly lost at the top of the glass where they blend too much into the background. Again, a lower position of the camera will ensure the black card is not being seen.

Its a nice image but there is a lack of attention to detail here that is preventing it from matching the standard of stock photography around.

Steve

YOU MADE MY DAY ! :hug::

I am a total newbie here. But, when I look at this pic, I actually really like some of the details that Steve didn't care for. The line of the bast against the background makes it feel a little more "real world" and a little less photo studio staged IMO. Same with the lines in the glass...I think it adds a touch of reality to the pic because we've all seen glasses that have those lines and are not perfectly smooth. Same with camera positioning, noone looks at a glass from eye level...you are always looking at least slightly down at one. i also don't know that a black card would have added to the image...part of what is SO striking here is the purity and simplicity of the red on white contrast. Again, all of these are just my opinion as an untrained viewer.

Overall I find myself agreeing with Steve's points - especially
Its a nice image but there is a lack of attention to detail here

I do respect the fact that this is probably one of the first times you've tried this kind of photograph and there is no problem at all making mistakes or trying new things; the key though is to learn and adapt to overcome those limitations. Myself I can see that the paper you've used isn't plain white and if you look at the background I can see the grey lines of print on the paper. It is, again, another small point that detracts and distracts from the overall effect of the photograph.

This isn't about spending lots of money (a few sheets of larger white paper) but it is about learning to see the distracting elements and then learning how to correct and control those elements so that you can repeat without them being a problem.

Myself with a shot like this I would prefer to work with something other than paper or card simply because of the water issue; something white and waterproof would be the ideal approach otherwise you might find that you have to replace your paper on a regular basis to let you keep taking shots.

Overall I find myself agreeing with Steve's points - especially
Its a nice image but there is a lack of attention to detail here

I do respect the fact that this is probably one of the first times you've tried this kind of photograph and there is no problem at all making mistakes or trying new things; the key though is to learn and adapt to overcome those limitations. Myself I can see that the paper you've used isn't plain white and if you look at the background I can see the grey lines of print on the paper. It is, again, another small point that detracts and distracts from the overall effect of the photograph.

This isn't about spending lots of money (a few sheets of larger white paper) but it is about learning to see the distracting elements and then learning how to correct and control those elements so that you can repeat without them being a problem.

Myself with a shot like this I would prefer to work with something other than paper or card simply because of the water issue; something white and waterproof would be the ideal approach otherwise you might find that you have to replace your paper on a regular basis to let you keep taking shots.

yeah, i totally agree with you, there is 1st time for everything, and nothing is perfect from 1st time. So yeah, practice is the key word for photography in general.

thank you for your comment :)

Beautiful photo! You should have cleaned up the bottom darkness tho!

On one side this has wonderful features like that water trail coming towards camera; at the same side the mild tilt and lack of contrast compromises on the impact too

Yet i loved this

Regards :D

Most reactions

Back