waterfall - manual mode - C/C needed please!

dslrchat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forums.dslrchat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1, 1 exposure
raps1.jpg

2, 5 exposure just merged, no PP
rap5b3npp.jpg

3, these next 3 are all 5 exposures using photomatix
rap5b1.jpg

rap5b1a.jpg

rap5b2.jpg

Last night I used just Manual mode for the first time,
Please C/C and be Honest, I can take it.

I really like number 4 and 5... Good exposure and Lighting :]

I like the composition of #5 and the colors( lights?) on #4. Be cool to see #5 when the lights were on behind the water...

Looks like there was grass, trees, etc. on the sides...why not show them too? I keep wondering what's just outside the rocks for some reason - maybe that's just me though.

I like em. I hope to find a waterfall and do some as well as these.

I like 1 the bestm followed by 5. It looks to me that in 3/4 the lights behind/below the water are pretty blown out as well. I think that's why I like 1 the most, the lights look the best in that picture. I agree with the above about the blown out sky as well. The pictures are good otherwise though, at least to me.

I really like what you have here - though I think 2 things stand out:

1) in photos 3 and 4 the use of several exposures has reall helped get the extra clarity and sharpness to the photos which is clearly visable when compared to shot 1. However the backlights are playing up with your exposure - I think you have to either try lowering the exposure compansation down a bit or suffer a shorter exposure time. Out of interest did you use the same settings as for number 1 for these 2 shots?

2) Its not a problem with the falls, but one with the background being a little overexposed - that I think you can solve with 2 things. Firstly shooting even later in the day (the backlights would help you be able to stay extra late - course bare in mind point 1 ; secondly again try the exposure compansation (its that bar under the f number and next to the mode on the back of the screen on the DSLR - I think you use canon.

To me 1 and 2 are the weaker shots - 3 and 4 have a good angle, colours and lighting with the only problem being the overexposed areas - shot 5 I like the best though and I think it could even work without the upper section - the trees.
All in all some very good work with manual for the first time and with a tricky subject matter to shoot

TY everyone for your comments, they will help me improve for sure.

Overread, yes I do use Canon (XTI) but not sure what you mean by "try the exposure compansation"
ty

When in a more manual mode (e.g. ap or tv)
Hold down the AV+/- button on the camera (top button on the right hand side of the camera)
This then highlights a point on a sider on the main screen. Use the arrow keys to increase or decrease the compensation. Decrease for working in brighter situations and increase for where you are working in darker situations

I should also add that another recomended using a value of around -1 for general use during the bright protions of the day under ths sun

I really appreciate your time Overread,
I feel abit "slow" today and not quite sure.
When I was doing the bracketed shots, I used the exposure bar (in view finder) did 1 shot at -2, -1 0 1 2

So I should also use the AV+/- button to further compensate?

1,3 and 4 all have blown out areas from the lighting, too distracting, especially the top right light.
The sky is blown out.
Except for the blown out sky, I like 5 best. Closer and with more depth than the others.

These pics are nice! It would be nice to see your friend in one or all of these, its a nice backdrop!

Most reactions

Back