Waterfall Suggestions?

perylousdemon

TPF owns my soul...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've really been itching to do long exposures of waterfalls because I absolutely love the milky effect it causes. The only problem is that I'm not sure that my Canon Powershot A460 is capable of it. I know I can keep the shutter open for 1 to 15 seconds, but the lowest manual ISO setting on the camera is 80, and I don't think that's low enough. Any suggestions?

You're going to need a neutral density filter so that the camera will have to keep the shutter open longer to get a well exposed image. With the long shutterspeed you will be able to get your milky water.

yup what he said^^ i took some shots without one but the river had a forest over it so it was rather dark to start with. @ f8 and 100 iso the shutter was slow enough to blur the water (1.6sec) you need a tripod for this, its hard to keep it sharp even with IS..

Thanks. I've got a tripod. My camera is a point-and-shoot, though. I don't know how I'd use a filter with it. :|

there are companies (including cokin possibly) that make a p&S filter holder for point and shoot cameras, you attach the camera to the holder, via a screw that goes in your tripod socket, and then put the filters in front of its lens., other ways to do this could be to just put a filter in front of the lens and hold it during the exposure, but your best way to do it would probably be the holder. OR, shoot in low light situations such as very cloudy days, or at sundown. GOOD LUCK!

u can also blutack the filter to the front of your camera but yeah a specific holder is good

Most reactions

New Topics

Back