website

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know most a lot of you guys work in IT, so don't feel obligated to go in depth, just point me in the right direction. I'm running an apache server and need to create a website (on a windows machine) that requirees a password to access. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this one?

chase will probably be the man speak to about this,
but you will probably need to create an .htaccess file to password protect it, its basically a little file that will create a dialogue box to ask for a user name and password.

just did quick lookup on google on this:
http://faq.ozoneasylum.com/1076

i've used htaccess on linux but not windows but the site about pertains to windows.

Is this for an internal network or for the world wide web?

its for the WWW

and actually that htaccess thing for windows/ linux may become pretty tricky. because the server is linux, but for some unknown reason the guy who actually makes the website uses microsoft frontpage. So the page will be created on windows but the server is linux. Is this going to make things incredibly confusing?

yeah, I was sort of hoping chase would stumble upon this post

An htaccess file should be the way to go, it shouldn't matter what is used to create the pages. The htaccess file can be used to password protect everything in the directory on the server.

Be cautious if you are using the FrontPage extensions on the web server though. There is a ton of information on htaccess files out there, so I would suggest does some searches for "htaccess tutorial" and you should be able to find everything you need.

It has been a while since I have used FrontPage, but if you have the FrontPage extensions on the web server, I believe there are some built-in FrontPage wizards to create password protection. (Side Note: I wouldn't recommend using the FrontPage extensions unless there is some specific need/want for them).

Hope this helps a little....

Yeah, i don't particularly like the idea of using frontpage either, but I don't know html and don't particularly feel like creating the webpage if this other guy is doing it, so I won't complain too much. I'll definitly research the htaccess and try to get it working. Thanks guys

Most reactions

New Topics

Back