Wedding Photographers, Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

superemone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Or anyone for that matter.

I'm shooting my first wedding portrait session outside in a few weeks. I'm just wondering what's the general aperture range I should use. I know it depends on a lot of things. But I just need an idea.

I'm thinking widest is 2.8. And somewhere around 4 - 5.6 should give me a sharp enough picture with good bokeh?

Your thoughts? I'm very nervous already!

There is no way for us to answer this for you...it's something that you must decide. Not to mention that you haven't given use much information.

A top quality lens will usually look pretty good at F2.8 but a cheaper lens (if it even has F2.8, will usually need to be stopped down to get better quality). That being said, most lenses, even top quality ones, will look best when stopped down a stop or two.

Of course, aperture controls DOF, so that is usually your main factor in determining what aperture to use. If you want your subjects to be totally in focus, then you will need to use an aperture that can do this for you. DOF depends on the focal length, distance to subject and size of recording medium...so you will just have to set it to what works for your situation.

You will also want to consider how you want to show areas away from the subjects...like the background or foreground. Maybe you want some bokeh, maybe you want a sharper background. It's up to you.

Maybe you are shooting a group of people, you will probably want them all to be in focus, so you would need to use an aperture that gives you a deep enough DOF.

Maybe the light isn't great and you need a faster shutter speed in order to get sharp shots. In this case, you might need to sacrifice DOF for shutter speed...but keep in mind that you can also raise the ISO to increase the shutter speed.

If you can, it might help to go to the location on a day before the shoot, at around the same time of day. Take a model to practice on.

I think I will do the polite thing and pass on commenting this time. :(

Guys, it's not a paid gig. It's for a friend of mine. I'm doing it just to get some exposure and experience. I just got my camera a few months ago. So I'm a newbie at best. Go easy on me!

I won't say you should do this, since it comes down to an agreement between you and your friend; but I would say you should make ure that she is aware that the pictures will not be dependable or of professional quality. If she's ok with that, then that's fine. Just make sure she doesn't think she'll get great shots and is then disappointed.

For a wedding, a ONE TIME event that can never again be repeated and you do not have even the basic skills to complete... how do you THINK it will make them feel?

Irrespective of what they may say or what you may think... ANY person who is getting married, spends every affordable cent to make that event, that whole day... PERFECTION. It is only natural that they expect nothing less than that same thing in their photographs. Indeed, they DESERVE nothing less. In a very real way, it is the most important moment in their lives and it will not be preserved in a manner that the couple deserves.

Your experience level unfortunately, is so far from being adequate that it could be insulting to you to air my opinions without restraint.

So, I will say this...

What you are asking is somewhat equivalent to a very basic comparison of a 16-year old with 2 months driving experience asked a group of formula 1 drivers how far to the right the steering wheel has to be held to win a formula 1 race.

Obviously such a question has no possible answer... and, I am sorry but, in a very real way... neither does yours.

OMG I hope they are hiring a pro photographer as well, no dis respect but dependingon light, situation, DOF desired, etc, etc ,etc your appeture, shutter speed, ISO, etc throughout the day. I mean I am but an amateur so if i'm wrong you pro's feel free to correct me.

For a wedding, a ONE TIME event that can never again be repeated and you do not have even the basic skills to complete... how do you THINK it will make them feel?

Irrespective of what they may say or what you may think... ANY person who is getting married, spends every affordable cent to make that event, that whole day... PERFECTION. It is only natural that they expect nothing less than that same thing in their photographs. Indeed, they DESERVE nothing less. In a very real way, it is the most important moment in their lives and it will not be preserved in a manner that the couple deserves.

Your experience level unfortunately, is so far from being adequate that it could be insulting to you to air my opinions without restraint.

So, I will say this...

What you are asking is somewhat equivalent to a very basic comparison of a 16-year old with 2 months driving experience asked a group of formula 1 drivers how far to the right the steering wheel has to be held to win a formula 1 race.

Obviously such a question has no possible answer... and, I am sorry but, in a very real way... neither does yours.

Eh, no worries. Now days, someone's first wedding is just practice for the next :er:.

Lol.

Eh, no worries. Now days, someone's first wedding is just practice for the next :er:.

Lol.

Rather callous. Let's hope if and when you get married a total newbie uses your wedding pics as practice too. ;)

So, I will say this...

While I agree with you in an abstract sense, the OP is asking about a wedding portrait session, which is a totally different thing than the wedding itself. No need to get super pissed off when it's not needed-- there's threads enough for legitimate rage.

Bokeh isn't just being out of focus; it's a way of describing the flavor of the out-of-focusness. It's not influenced by aperture size as much as lens design.

In addition to aperture, DOF is controlled by distance to subject, focal length, and format size. F/4 at 17mm on an APS camera for a group shot will have deep DOF, while f/4 at 70mm on a 35mm camera for close up portraits will be very shallow DOF.

A big question is what gear are you using? Do your flashes have high speed sync options? If not then good luck getting below your flash sync speed at f/2.8 or f/4, maybe even f/5.6 in the bright outdoors. Typical exposure in the bright sun is going to be close to 1/2000th @ f/4 @ ISO 100. A pol filter can be used to cut a stop or two, but there's still a long way to go if you have to get it below 1/250th.

Rather callous. Let's hope if and when you get married a total newbie uses your wedding pics as practice too. ;)

I was actually referring to the 50% divorce rate. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back