wedding question.

daluke09

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am attending a wedding in May and I was thing about bringing my camera to get some pictures mainly of the reception. I am not their "wedding photographer," I just wanted to get some shots. Is there any advice that you all could give to help with this event?

Do paid wedding photographers get upset if novices are there also shooting? Is there some sort of unwritten rule saying I should not be getting these pics?

I am not planning on getting any formal shots just candid reception pictures. Thanks for the the help.

Just about any wedding will have plenty of guests with cameras. Just be respectful of the hired pro photographer and you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks Mike. I didnt want to break any rules or better yet piss anyone off.

As Mike said, first thing is be mindful and respect the hired photographer's reason for being there. He is the one chosen to capture the event by and for the bride and groom.

That aside...

If you do a search there are plenty of hints and tips around here concerning wedding photography.

A better idea instead of just asking for help in one thread on one board, do a google for wedding specific photography forums and read, read, read... it's all there if you look for it. ;)

I'd say that before I shot weddings as a second at weddings, 95% of my info came from these places.

Good luck. :)

Well you are a step ahead of most people because you at least have some concern about the paid photographer. Most people at weddings I shoot could care less about the guy who is paid to be there they think it is more important to get in front of the photographer to get their shot. If you are wanting to try to get some shots to give to them (the B+G) a good rule of thumb would be if you see the photographer shooting a particular scene or action don't shootit yourself. The best way to get some unique shots is to try and shoot whatever the photogapher is not shooting. Also, if you are a close friend or family member you do have one advantage that the photographer does not and that is you now everyone or at least the important ones. When I shoot a wedding the only people I know to shoot is the wedding party and a few surrounding family members while you may know people that the photographer does not know so it would be nice to shoot some of those people as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back