Week 9-15 April - MOTW => surfingfireman

Hey, that dog is not a thing! But since he/she looks so adorable, I understand!

;)

pascal

Mainiac

How about a picture of your front door?
doorio2.jpg

What is your dream car? Don't really have one. Would optimally want something that is as eco-friendly as possible yet still functional like I want. Maybe a small medium truck that would run on bio-diesel.

(Ghastly) Krueger

Can we get a pic of an interesting piece of fire fighting equipment? And some explanation on how it works? will have to wait until I head back to work tommorrow.
Please tell us the best and worst parts of your work. Best part: making someone's day be it as small as waving to a little kid on the street, to pulling grandma out of a burning building. Worst part: being right there when people are seriously hurt, dead or lose everything.

Chris of Arabia

Everyone's house contains something that embarrasses them. Go photograph it for us... Honestly, I looked all over the house and couldn't find anything.

Jeff Canes

What color is your fire truck? Like all REAL fire trucks, ours are red.

Mainiac

Chris of Arabia

Everyone's house contains something that embarrasses them. Go photograph it for us... Honestly, I looked all over the house and couldn't find anything.

OK that's cool - must be just me then. As an alternative, how about a shot of something you pass everyday on your journey to work, have wondered about (how it got there, what it's for, that type of thing), but never gone back to find out more.

>;o))

(Ghastly) Krueger

I was going to use a picture of the boring old "jaws of life" but then I remembered about this little doohicky.

ticuc3.jpg

This is a TIC (thermal imaging camera) also nicknamed "The Eyes". It registers differences in temperatures to make a picture. So it can be used to find a person in a smoky, pitch black room or to find a fire burning behind a wall.

ticfaceqv8.jpg

Notice how my face is very light, my hair a little darker, my shirt collar even darker and the wall of the truck almost black? Warmer something is, lighter it is. If something is ridiculously hot, it will appear red.

Also notice the green bar on the side of the display? That shows the temperature at the cross hair little green dot (presently on my nose). So we can use that to look for hot spots in a wall where a fire had burned previously.

The screen is "live" so the image changes as you move like a video camera. A couple drawbacks are : if you get in a really hot environment, a bit of lag develops, in a really smoky room, you can't even see the screen even if it is only a couple inches from you face and it can't see through glass (it just looks black).

There you go, that's the TIC!

Wow. Now that is a very interesting thing for you to present us!

How far away from your own home was the closest fire you have ever been called to?

Have anyone in your own family ever suffered a loss (hopefully only material, if at all!) through fire?

(Fire is my worst nightmare ever, you know?)

Do you like the SIGHT of fire (flames), provided it is controlled and not destructive? Have you taken photos of fire before?

Have you ever had the chance to take photos while being called out to fight a fire?

Lafoto,

How far away from your own home was the closest fire you have ever been called to? Interesting question, but none have been that close. Maybe half a kilometre would be the closest. However, there was an ambulance call (the ambulance worked out of the same hall as us) sent to my parents house for my grandmother which I didn't hear for some reason. Just as well because I would have started to freak out and it was nothing.

Have anyone in your own family ever suffered a loss (hopefully only material, if at all!) through fire? Hopefully I am not jinxing myself but no.

(Fire is my worst nightmare ever, you know?)

Do you like the SIGHT of fire (flames), provided it is controlled and not destructive? Have you taken photos of fire before? I love the look of fire, I can stare at the flames dancing in my woodstove all night and yeah I have attempted photos in the past.

Have you ever had the chance to take photos while being called out to fight a fire? On the way no. At one time I carried a disposable camera in my gear. I took some photos in a fear, none of which turned out very well. Then the chief told us "there was to be NO personal cameras used at fire scenes!" So now the only photos I take are CSI type evidence pics, with the departments P&S Digicam.

Chris of Arabia

OK that's cool - must be just me then. As an alternative, how about a shot of something you pass everyday on your journey to work, have wondered about (how it got there, what it's for, that type of thing), but never gone back to find out more.

Here's some shack on the side of the road that probably sold something at some time, but I have not investigated what it might have been.

shackzy2.jpg

some more fire based questions for you...

What's the biggest fire you've put out?

Have you ever started a fire yourself by accident?

Have you ever rescued a cat that was stuck up a tree?

What is the main cause of fire in the home in Canada?

Have you seen the film Back Draft starring Kurt Russell and did you find it to be an accurate dipiction of life for the modern fire fighter?

JohnMF

some more fire based questions for you...

What's the biggest fire you've put out? A fire in a veneer factory

Have you ever started a fire yourself by accident? no

Have you ever rescued a cat that was stuck up a tree? yeah, when I was in highschool (it immediately ran right back up) but never as a FF

What is the main cause of fire in the home in Canada? cooking and smoking

Have you seen the film Back Draft starring Kurt Russell and did you find it to be an accurate dipiction of life for the modern fire fighter? not the best portrayal could be different working in a big city like that but both departments I have worked for are in smaller cities.

I definitely think we need a self portrait in your firefighting gear.

Most reactions

Back