Weekly challenge - Before and After 1/6 - 1/12

Here is my Shot & Edit:

smallDSC_9446_.JPG
smallDSC_9446_00001_01_.JPG

I'm bad at following rules, but I wanted to share something in this thread, and my shooting options and opportunities have been limited this week.

So...I posted this photo a couple weeks ago...

christmaseve-5 by jwa04, on Flickr

Here is the shot straight out of the camera:

christmasevesunrisesooc by jwa04, on Flickr

I think what makes modern digital cameras so cool is how much dynamic range is present in the files. I've found through trial and error that it's much easier to expose for the highlights, which leaves images looking like this one straight out of the camera. I was able to pull an enormous amount of detail out of one file. The final edited version had some exposure work done in LR (-70 on Highlights and +100 on the shadows), and then I sent it out to PS to run some contrast filters in CFXP4. I also used the healing brush to take out the D600 sensor splooge in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

The only problem is that with my manual focus lens, it being dark, and my in-camera file being very dark -- I missed the foreground focus. That's part of the learning curve with this lens I guess. It has everything I need to focus by distance and aperture, and I need to get comfortable with that method.

@JonA_CT I am always attracted to HDR edits but it so difficult to not make them look like a painting or rendering....

@JonA_CT I am always attracted to HDR edits but it so difficult to not make them look like a painting or rendering....

I agree. For this, I wasn't worried about that, and I also didn't cook it as hard as some others might. I did set a black point for the file, so there are some places that are absolute black. That being said...I understand why some people might shy away from photos that have more range that our eyes would have in the same scene.

I also think that as photographers, we care more about it than average folks. This was one of my most popular photos on social media this year.

DOF f/2.8 testing on 80mm Macro, results journal'd.

1. SOOC JPEG
DSCF3160.jpg

2. post. lowered shadows, bumped contrast, crushed black, small vignette.
DSCF3160E.jpg

Here’s the latest of my fur baby. He’s my most cooperative model - works for cookie pieces and never complains if I have to reshoot or make adjustments to his pose. When he sees me pick up the camera he knows it’s cookie time and he gets extra cooperative.

Cropped to bring him out of the center and line up his eyes with the rule of thirds, a little selective sharpening and some dodging.

I haven't shot much this week, and when I look at the files....gaaaawd what a bunch of junk lol..

In the interest of participation, here's a snap of a train car that I've tried to mash into something more interesting to look at
train car-1.jpg

Changed perspective vertical +100, Dropped exposure, then boosted shadows, whites, clarity and vibrance. dropped saturation
train car-1-2.jpg

Creative! I like how the perspective change made this so much more dramatic. Nice edit.

Sunset last night. Debated about leaving/cropping the tower and finally went with leaving it in. Cooled the w/b a bit too- it looked a little overcooked even SOOC....

Before:
MJK_5344 sooc.jpg

After

Oklahoma sunset
by Peeb-OK, on Flickr

I thought the trees in front came out nicer than I had expected, tho this is far from a perfect image.

Last edited:
Took a break from watching Creative Live. Oscar is due for a grooming. He is the most co-operative of the three schnauzers.

Before - Raw to jpg no adjustments
011017_11SOOCsmall.jpg

After - ACR & PS edits
011017_11_4x5_small.jpg

Raw + Jpeg. XT2, 80 macro, Custom Velvia, custom white balance. bought a new fabric from store.

DSCF3288.jpg

Detail of Vodoo Lily. XT2, 80mm Macro

1. SOOC
DSCF3145.jpg

2. Post. Lowered shadows, bumped red & yellow channel. Bumped contrast. Crushed blacks.
DSCF3145E.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back