Well shoot my 18-55 lens froze.

TammyCampbell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a fall and now. The zoom won't move past 25 mm I can still take a wide shot. But the the auto focus works but manual focus is stuck too. So the question is. should I replace it. Or should I get a 18- 110 mm or should I get a 35 mm 1.8 g prime?? I have a d5100 camera..

I'd say you'd miss the range switching to only a prime for focal lengths wider than 55mm, but since your 18-55 still works on the wide end I think it's a good choice.

The 18-105 seems a little redundant since you already have a the 55-300. Unless you hate changing lenses.

I would not be happy with only a 35mm prime, I love mine but it is not ideal for every situation.

I got my 35mm and 50mm prime lenses mainly for when I need a lens in low light situationns.

We don't know what mm lens will be best for you, only you can answer that. I use my 18-200 for mist things and I constantly findy self needing to change the amount of zoom I use.

You really need to decide what focal range you will need for the kind of things you shoot and than star looking at lenses with the amount of zoom you want

Personally, I'd sell the 55-300, say a prayer of thanks the 18-55 failed and get a 18-300. If that is out of your price range (c. $1000), then I have to recommend the 18-105 as your everyday lens. It is one of Nikon's nicer pieces of glass with a lot of bang for the buck. I shot it on a D7000 for a long time and had successful shots time after time. I agree with Danny as to having only the 35/50 for everyday use though admit even on my D810, I use the 50mm as a daily shooter on a regular basis. The 18-300 is pretty lightweight, is nicely sharp at each end and pretty much throughout the entire focal range.

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD... Worth every penny!

I have one for sale too! It was worth every penny [emoji106][emoji106]

I think you can answer that question for yourself: Get whichever fits your needs more. If you like a good focal range and you prioritize that over a fast aperture, get a zoom lens like an 18-105, 18-140, 17-70, etc.

If you prefer a fast aperture, the 35mm 1.8g is a good affordable choice.

I opted for the sigma 18-35 art lens myself.

You have several really good options. If you need a similar range and f/2.8 speed then the Sigma or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would be a good choice. If you want some more range, better build and IQ but can live with the 3.5-5.6 speed than you might take a look at either the Nikon 16-85 or the 18-105 or 18-140. Or just pickup another 18-55 for around $100 or so and carry on.

Yup, awesome lens. I am still loving mine. Gonna be my walk around lens on an upcoming trip to Maui.

If you can't spend the 500ish right now, PM me your address and I will send you my 18-55 kit lens. It is sitting collecting dust and I would rather see it put to good use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back