Well

monkeykoder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first 4x5 body just arrived today :D Now I have to figure out lenses and film holders which I MIGHT have figured out (I'm having troubles deciding between a 210mm from a guy on APUG and a 150mm convertible from one of our own).

210mm Rodenstock Sironar-N lens
150mm Schneider Symmar Convertible (I believe)

The 210mm I believe to be multi coated while the 150mm is single coated (I'm not sure I care too much just have to be careful).

Make sure you have enough room for the 150. Draw the front standard all the way back to the rear standard with the bellows in and measure from your film plane to the lens board. If you get 5 1/2 inches or more you might wanna avoid the 150 'cause it'll be tight.

Isn't the 150mm approximately a normal lens on 4x5? I don't know that I could go less than a 90mm but I'll easily be fine with a 150mm. I'm leaning towards the 150mm because it seems like it would be more versatile.

Yes, the 150 is what most consider a normal lens for 4x5. Both are good lenses. Using the 150 as is, is actually quite a good lens, I think it is a 5.6, and it will cover 4x5 with movements. Don't worry too much about coating, get a good lens shade and don't point the thing into the sun...
I think you will find converting the lens (removing the front element) does have some drawbacks, you can get focus shift which can be corrected by using a light yellow filter. Make sure the shutter is marked for both f stops, also there can be some need to make slight changes in shutter speed when converted as well.

Another fantastic 150mm lens is the G-Claron, super crisp lens. Actually the whole group of G-Clarons are excellent with massive coverage for their focal lengths.

JC

Just so long as it works and doesn't produce outright bad results when converted I should be happy.

Not outright bad, and for b&w, as JC noted, a yellow or orange filter will make a world of difference. I prefer the converted look for certain subjects, just a matter of taste, I guess. It's in a Synchro Compur, with both aperture scales, forgot to mention that. For any of those that think it matters, it's a Sinar selected lens, looks good on the gg as well as being a decent inexpensive lens. (yes, I'm the one selling it to monkeykoder, btw) Since migrating to Sinar DB or DBM mount lenses, I can't justify having perfectly good, but "politically incorrect" (or unclean, as those of us who can't afford the latest and greatest APO super duper multi thousand dollare lenses prefer to call them) lenses sitting on a shelf when there's a dearth of good quality user lenses out there. Frankly, I'd rather help a few motivated people that couldn't afford it otherwise get involved in LF than make a ton of $$$.

erie

btw, JC, have you tried a 19" Artar on the 12x20? how well does it cover if you have. I've got an extra since being given a RD and was thinking "what's another unusual format that might look good next to the 20x24?" (10x24 is a contender as well)

Well hopefully I'll find out how it works in a week or two.

Another fantastic 150mm lens is the G-Claron, super crisp lens. Actually the whole group of G-Clarons are excellent with massive coverage for their focal lengths.

JC

I second that!

I think monkeykoder will be quite happy with the Symmar.

btw, JC, have you tried a 19" Artar on the 12x20? how well does it cover if you have. I've got an extra since being given a RD and was thinking "what's another unusual format that might look good next to the 20x24?" (10x24 is a contender as well)

The 19" Artar will cover 12x20 ok stopped down at infinity, much better close up, but for 12x20 I would not recommend it. 8x20 and under is best, perhaps for your 10x24, check it on your 20x24 to be sure. 10x24 would be an interesting format, I have been pondering a cirkut camera, there is just something about those 8x photographs that are so pleasing.

To fill the 19" gap I now have a Nikkor 450M which I picked up after selling my 19" Dagor, which had massive coverage for the 20x24 and beyond, but was just super heavy. The 450M will cover the 20x24 with softness in the corners so anything under that is no problem for such a tiny lens.

What exactly is a "politically incorrect" lens?

I'm guessing he is referring to anything that didn't come from the age of multi-coating.

More along the lines of barrel lenses, single element meniscus lenses and anything with a packard shutter and outside of the "LF is a rich man's sport" line of thinking. My 8x10 field camera looks rough, cost me $50 to build and works as well as the 8x10 Universal a friend lent me for years. (and it weighs about 7# total), combined with a 210 angulon and 4 or 5 wooden holders, easily backpackable. (unlike the 20x24 monster I built, 50# and best moved by vehicle..)

erie

Now I just need the guy with the film holders to get back to me and I have everything set up.

Here's the deal on that convertible Symmar. It's 150mm with both elements. Unscrew one (I can't remember which, but you can google it) and they say it goes to 265mm, or something like that. Except that it will require more than 265mm of draw. Mine needs over 300mm when converted, which means I can't focus with some of my 4x5 cameras like the Speed Graphics. Notice the market value of this lens is normally 1/2 to 2/3rds what non-convertible Schneider 150s cost. Like zooms, it's a compromise; my convertible is softer than my non-convertible 150. A good deal if it's all you can afford, but you might look into straight 150s.

Most reactions

Back