Went Camping

Photo Phil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went camping this weekend in Indiana. I figured i would take some scenic pictures at dusk around 7-8 o'clock eastern time with long exposures. I think i may have to crop them a little but definatley C&C welcome.

DSC03929.jpg

DSC03931.jpg

DSC03909.jpg

IMG%5D

Very, Nice angles.Nice work. I can crop these pictures for you if you wanted me to? I like the 1st picture the red barn really brings the picture to life.

you need to remove the highlights from the skies

else these picture are excellent!

I feel like there's alot of glare in these shots, and they seem slightly overexposed to me. There's no detail in the sky. A polarizing filter maybe
would have helped.

#1 and #2 - did you use longer shutter speed 'cos water looks so smooth :) I love it

Photos look nice, except for the fact, the highlights are clipping (sky is white). If you have ACR 4.x, you can fix it by moving the Recover slider to the right.

5 seconds on the first one, and 20 seconds shutter on the 2nd one, works out great. Especially the 20 second exposure on the 2nd shot. The water looks great.

The problem is, you had +1 exposure value. Was that on purpose or by accident? I find my exposure value changed often because my freaking nose hits buttons all the time on the back of my camera. And my nose isn't even all that big! It drives me crazy.

You can see the difference with the sky and the extreme purple fringing in the first 2 photos compared with the 3rd which was EV value of 0. Looks like you had some difficult light as the sky was lit with sunlight, but the river was encompassed in shadow. I guess filters would be the way to correct, as someone suggested above with a polarizing filter.

Take my comments lightly, I don't comment as if I know all because I don't have a dSLR, nor have I been messing with photography very long (here and there for 8 months now). This is just my thoughts about the exposure compensation value. With my camera, I have to have it adjusted at -1EV as it calculates exposure better at that setting.

Good composition, particularly with #2 and #3, but your skies are completely blown out. When taking exposures as long as you did for the first two shots, you need to use an ND filter to darken the frame as no aperture can close up far enough to take five-second exposures in broad daylight. Additionally, a polarizing filter will give some nice deep colouring in the sky.

The sky in your third shot is a bit better, but still in need of a polarizer.

I'd highly recommend either a polarizer or graduated ND to darken the sky. A polarizer would have also eliminated the glare off the water. They appear to be overexposed which would probably be due to the +1 EV compensation as mrodgers mentioned. I'd personally run these through some PP as well, more specifically a levels adjustment and boosted color saturation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back