What are you reading?

Designer

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I enjoy reading mostly non-fiction on nearly any topic, but since I have just been into some books on photography, I thought it might be fun to share with each other what we are reading lately.

I just finished "The photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately began reading it a second time. Excellent writing, illustrations, examples, and thought process. Less than exemplary editing, but that is their business, not mine.

Currently I am reading "Photography Your Way" - A Career Guide to Satisfaction and Success, by Chuck DeLaney. This was published in 2000, so some parts of it are quaintly outdated, but there is a wealth of information that remains current, or that will probably never be outdated. For instance; the author gives his advice on building a business that can easily be translated to be relevant to building nearly any business, not just that of photography. It is very well written, and I have noticed only one typo so far.

As for other photography books, I read "Nikon Speedlight Handbook" by Stephanie Zettl. This one can be used as a reference, and so I have consulted it several times whenever I have a question for which I need a refresher.

My other interests include architecture, politics, social studies, yoga, and more. I keep up with current events by reading a semi-monthly news and commentary magazine (not the one you think), websites, and of course, TPF. :D

If you would like to share your latest reading material, please tell us!

Last edited:
I'm reading "Storytellers" on and off. It's a book written by one of my professors about telling stories through photography from both a creative aspect and a technical one.

It's great because it reads like a book and not some preachy how-to manual.

Other than that my attention span isn't long enough to read novels or anything so I just jump from website to website reading pointless tidbits of information.

I'd like to sound smart by listing some heady work, but I must confess it was a mechanic's manual on my car. More specifically the front hub assembly.

I am trying so hard to get into "The Photographers Eye". I have such a hard time seeing great photos when I'm out with the intention of taking photos. I constantly walk past artsy type photos and my wife is always grabbing my arm and saying, "hey! Come back here and take a look at this. This would be a great photo!". For me Michael is maybe too eloquent (for lack of a better word) or maybe it's that he takes a long path toward getting to the point. It's just a hard read for me. :( I'm still struggling through it though. I will finish it because I really want to be more than a "point and shoot" type of photographer.
I read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson and I really enjoyed that. I started reading it again but, then stopped to force myself to finish "The Photographers Eye". Also the Scott Kelby series all four. Which is nice for a beginner and an easy read.

Oh! and for pleasure,
"Freckles" By Gene Stratton Porter

I'm currently reading Tom Ang's: The Complete Photographer

I've just started it and so far I like it.

I am trying so hard to get into "The Photographers Eye". I have such a hard time seeing great photos when I'm out with the intention of taking photos. I constantly walk past artsy type photos and my wife is always grabbing my arm and saying, "hey! Come back here and take a look at this. This would be a great photo!". For me Michael is maybe too eloquent (for lack of a better word) or maybe it's that he takes a long path toward getting to the point.

I agree! It is hard to say if I got anything really useful out of it, other than a reinforcement of the principles of artistic composition. When I look at his example photographs, I think: Could I have seen that myself and thought about taking the picture?

Nice reads. I'm reading Bryan Peterson's Understanding Composition for a second time, and How to create stunning digital photography by Tony Northrup.

I too have found the reinforcement of the principles to be helpful and I did learn some additional information that I didn't know about. You are right about some of his sample photos too. For me, some of them I can see where he is going with the images but, others I don't see the point with them at all.
What hangs me up is stuff like the small sample below.

Golden Section Proportions by Shefjr, on Flickr
(a screen shot from my ipad out of the book "The Photographers Eye" by Michael Freeman)

I get what he was going for here but, stuff like this hangs me up. I just feel like there could have been a better way to convey the information. Which is further along in the chapter but, why go the long way to make the point with something like this.
In either case, I am going to continue struggling through the book. I want to be able to "see" photos and I'm hoping this book is a step in the right direction.

NOTE: I have reported myself because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a picture of the book. So this may come down.

Last edited:
Spy Catcher. The Candid Autobiography of a Senior Intelligence Officer.
By Peter Wright - Former Assistant Director of MI5.

I get what he was going for here but, stuff like this hangs me up. I just feel like there could have been a better way to convey the information. Which is further along in the chapter but, why go the long way to make the point with something like this.

Yea, that ratio carried out to the 9th decimal place is a bit much.

I think his point is that it is a real number, and not some art critic's idea of what should be an ideal proportion. The ancient designers used things like this in an effort to find "perfection", as if humans could achieve that.

In our modern application of the ratio and similar, I think we just need to be aware of them so we can intelligently make decisions regarding our frame proportions or the like. Does that mean we need to whip out the calculator when cropping? No, but it might come in handy when trying to decide on the optimum crop. After a while, it is presumed that such decisions will sort of come "naturally".

World War Z to see how badly they butcher the movie"Amped" by Daniel H Wilson is nextAnd after that, the next book in th day by day Armageddon series. I read allot of zombie stuff for someone who isn't a fan of the sub genre. The day by day series I liked the journal style writing. It's annoying in WWZ though. The book "Robopocolypse" by Daniel H Wilson was written in a similar fashion as well. Guess I've just enjoyed this writing style lately. A breathe of fresh air from the suspensful, easily predictable Dan Brown style books. (Not predictable in that I knew the outcome, but rather what flow the book was going to have is the best way I can describe). Personally I loved Brown's work though.

I just finished a long bout of Brother Cadfael mysteries. Short snappers, easy and fun to read.

Yea, that ratio carried out to the 9th decimal place is a bit much.

I think his point is that it is a real number, and not some art critic's idea of what should be an ideal proportion. The ancient designers used things like this in an effort to find "perfection", as if humans could achieve that.

In our modern application of the ratio and similar, I think we just need to be aware of them so we can intelligently make decisions regarding our frame proportions or the like. Does that mean we need to whip out the calculator when cropping? No, but it might come in handy when trying to decide on the optimum crop. After a while, it is presumed that such decisions will sort of come "naturally".

I do understand the principles behind the ratios. It is just as you said "a bit much" and for me a lot of the book at times is a bit much. That's probably because I'm simple (polite way of calling myself slow) when it comes to reading certain books. I flew through "Understanding Exposure" and the Kelby books. This book not so much.
The main reason for me to read this book and any other, I hope that in time it all starts to come "naturally". And trust me, I don't expect that it'll be quick.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back