What are your photography tricks

Dommypanx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have really been getting into going on spontaneous photo adventures, traveling light with just the camera and a 50mm. Throughout this process I have experimented a lot with underexposing, overexposing, and depth of field.

I also follow many photographers on instagram and various other photo sharing apps for inspiration and crushing on beautiful photos.

I would love to hear photography tricks, camera setting, etc. that you perform when traveling light. Maybe this will not only inspire me but others to think outside the box and experiment.

After you get your camera settings for the exposure you want then hold it somewhere else to take the picture. Hold it as high up as you can or down low. How about straight out but then shoot down or up?

Welcome aboard.

About the only trick I know is "play dead" which I tend to perform on weekend mornings.

Always have a camera with me.

I don't use any tricks. Just learned the basics from my dad and the good people on this forum and that's improved my photos remarkably.

My top tip for travelling light: work with what you have.

Not just for photography, but art in general: warm colors advance, cool colors recede; red pops.

Generally, the more I understand, the less I need to use tricks. However, what IS tricky is that "knowing" is not always the same as "understanding".

My biggest trick is to ignore everything written about photography except the bits I agree with.

Another couple of tricks I sometimes do is I hold my hand (or my hat, or a piece of cardboard, or whatever is handy) above or to the side of the lens to block stray light the lens hood doesn't block from causing lens flare.

Knowing how to breathe or make myself into an ersatz tripod to take a handheld shot with a slow shutter when I don't have an actual tripod or stable surface to rest the camera on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back