What bugs me about the new SLT-FF Camera

I would also like a bottle opener on the bottom plate, built in.A solid,simple, built-in, factory-implemented bottle opener would help all users with those extra-stubborn bottles of microbrewed beer that have those antiquated, NON-twist-top caps!!! SONY could put the opener in the left hand side of the bottom plate, and make it of steel with a reinforced Kevlar footing/surround/foundation...it'd be sweet...then a SONY could ALWAYS, reliably crack open basically any bottled beer!!!!

That would be sweet !

As to a built-in triggering system inside the camera body; a few years ago, the Pocket Wizard company offered a custom installed built-in internal Pocket Wizard for Nikon 1-series camera bodies. Users shipped their pro Nikon body or bodies to the PW folks, and they installed a Pocket Wizard inside the D1 or D1h or D1x, and shipped it back to users.

I just use the pocket wizards to pry the tops off. Not MINE of course, someone else's.

I would also like a bottle opener on the bottom plate, built in.A solid,simple, built-in, factory-implemented bottle opener would help all users with those extra-stubborn bottles of microbrewed beer that have those antiquated, NON-twist-top caps!!! SONY could put the opener in the left hand side of the bottom plate, and make it of steel with a reinforced Kevlar footing/surround/foundation...it'd be sweet...then a SONY could ALWAYS, reliably crack open basically any bottled beer!!!!

No need, just take the lense off and you can pop open a crown top by levering it between the mount and the bottom of that SLT mirror thingy. Job's a good 'un,

I do not know the answer, but do all RF flash triggers use the same "language" to trigger flashes? I have to say, it would have been a pretty cool feature and another first if they would have; I gotta find out why the did not do it (probably has to do with standarization, but I really don't know).

I do not know the answer, but do all RF flash triggers use the same "language" to trigger flashes? I have to say, it would have been a pretty cool feature and another first if they would have; I gotta find out why the did not do it (probably has to do with standarization, but I really don't know).

If you purchase an SLT-a99, right now, and already own a reasonably nice 'legacy' flash suite (ala any other Alpha/late-Minolta camera), you are going to experience annoying issues like you have not seen. When you discover these, you are probably going to ask the obvious:

"Why, it's a SONY?"
smilies.gif

You would think that users, having invested, quite literally, thousands of dollars in Minolta/SONY flash photography hardware would get just a little respect for their investment and, with a $3000 camera (a99), they cannot not effectively use their older equipment, because of timing delays in the camera's flash decision circuitry and the complication of having to use an ADAPTER to attach anything short of the brand new HVL-F60AM Electronic Flash ($549.99) to the A99's hot-shoe.

To be clear: Flash synchronization is critical.

Guys... $3000... to have to use adapters? To make your camera work (unreliably) with your current gear?

$ADPMAA.jpg

Okay, maybe it is not apparent, if you don't own one of these flashy, new units, but just wait until you do. I suspect that the "return box" and the "sales receipt" are going to start looking pretty good... and your old, far-more reliable a900 (or whatever) will, also.

SONY.. uh-uh. :thumbdown: Fix this, immediately, or no sale.

Last edited:
So Sony should have stayed with their old proprietary hot shoe ?

Or maybe have both ?

How about a removable legacy hot shoe ?

So Sony should have stayed with their old proprietary hot shoe ?

Or maybe have both ?

How about a removable legacy hot shoe ?

The best "change" would be to add a new RF flash trigger/synchronization/ratio control to the camera body

a99-RFant-fudge_zps396a3c98.jpg

and leave the Minolta-legacy hot-shoe in place, for people to make use of their older equipment. Forget ISO compatibility and make the other manufacturers adopt RF. It's here, it's now... it is, undeniably, the way to go. :cheer::camera:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back