What camera do I get?

laurenn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm kinda new to the boards i guess you can tell. Anyway I currently have a DSLR, but I want to begin working with film. I don't really know much about film cameras though and i was hoping that some people could give me some recomendations for a film SLR camera and maybe some good lenses to go with it. That would be great if you could. I don't really wanna brak the bank buying a really expensive camera though. Thank You.

What is your dSLR and what lenses do you already have? Maybe you could find a film SLR compatible with those lenses. Also, what are the features you need? Would you be happy with a fully manual camera (without autofocus) for example?

If you already have a dSLR, then IMO there is no question... get the same brand/system as you already have. Canon EOS, Nikon, and Pentax film SLRs all have the same mounts as their digital counterparts.

"Full-frame" lenses will be compatible with a 35mm film camera with the same mount. Ones designed specifically for APS-C digital sensors (like Canon EF-S) will not.

... but Steph beat me to that one ;)

Well, if you have a dSLR with probably some lenses, then I would go for a film SLR which can take those lenses.

I would chose a compatible system even if you currently have only lenses for a digital crop sensor. Any lens you then buy for your SLR could be used with the dSLR as well.

argh, I am getting slow .... am I getting old?

Currently I have a a Nikon D50 and I was thinking of going with the F100 or possibly the F5 because I was thinking about trying my hand at skateboard photography.

Currently I have a a Nikon D50 and I was thinking of going with the F100 or possibly the F5 because I was thinking about trying my hand at skateboard photography.

I think they are both excellent cameras and well suited for sport photography (if you have a lens to match). Here is a side by side comparison of the F5 and F100. I don't have any experience with either of them, so I let other people comment further.

If you're using the 18-55, you'll need a new lens for the 35mm body.

Most reactions

Back