What camera to get?

How about a used 5D MI + 50 f/1.8? Should find one and ship quickly from keh.com but you have to be fast with your decision.

The criteria specified is practically impossible in the set budget.

How about a used 5D MI + 50 f/1.8? Should find one and ship quickly from keh.com but you have to be fast with your decision.

The criteria specified is practically impossible in the set budget.

I realize I am going to need to spend more like $1k. But I would think I could get a decent camera for that, maybe not the best, but a good one. The 5D MI + 50 f/1.8, how does it perform? Would it be able to catch a photo of oil spraying from a machine? Thanks for your help.

I've no idea about the second hand prices in the USA, but if you can get the 5D + 50mm f1.8 that usayit mentions then you will at least have the most capable budget tools to do the job.
The 5D can at have its ISO raised pretty high so you can at least work more handheld should you not be able to use a tripod for the shots (factory conditions might put limits on how you can shoot and tripods might not be practical). For oil spray you should be able to raise the ISO high enought to stop motion, but without knowing the conditions its very hard to tell. For your budget the 5D has the best lowlight performance you can get. Also its a fullframe camera body so the 50mm won't be as "zoomed" in as it would on a crop sensor like a 50D - important when you are indoors and can't take a step back (you can of course crop quite a bit with a 5D should you need to be closer but can't move closer)

I would also recommend trying to shoot as early or late in the day as possible to lessen the chances of bright light coming in through windows which might create overexposure problems. Of course at those points in the day you will have less light overall to work with so its a give and take situation - especially indoors.

I've no idea about the second hand prices in the USA, but if you can get the 5D + 50mm f1.8 that usayit mentions then you will at least have the most capable budget tools to do the job.
The 5D can at have its ISO raised pretty high so you can at least work more handheld should you not be able to use a tripod for the shots (factory conditions might put limits on how you can shoot and tripods might not be practical). For oil spray you should be able to raise the ISO high enought to stop motion, but without knowing the conditions its very hard to tell. For your budget the 5D has the best lowlight performance you can get. Also its a fullframe camera body so the 50mm won't be as "zoomed" in as it would on a crop sensor like a 50D - important when you are indoors and can't take a step back (you can of course crop quite a bit with a 5D should you need to be closer but can't move closer)

I would also recommend trying to shoot as early or late in the day as possible to lessen the chances of bright light coming in through windows which might create overexposure problems. Of course at those points in the day you will have less light overall to work with so its a give and take situation - especially indoors.

What about this:

Canon EOS 5D digital SLR camera + 50mm F1.8 II and hood - eBay (item 280556826062 end time Sep-09-10 03:25:13 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ITs not the camera that takes the pictures, its the person.

I think the initial push back you had was due to your wanting a pro camera to do pro work, including print ads and such. People spend years, decades learning and perfecting the art of photography. Its not about the tools, its the person.

The tool helps the workflow. You can take a picture of spilling oil with a $200 Canon XT and 50mm 1.8 just fine....if you know how to use it.

10D to the 60D are all fine, D300, D700, D90, D40, D5000...they are all great cameras that can do the work you want.

Sorry if I offended you all. But I must ask, what's wrong with someting like a Canon EOS 50D? It come's in as a #8 in TopTenReviews.com's Pro DSLR camera of 2010. I can get one of these used on eBay for less than a $1k with a lense.

if you can get a good deal on a 50D, go for it. I love mine........

ITs not the camera that takes the pictures, its the person.

You are absolutely right.... and the reasons you pointed out are exactly why people were originally put off.

But

In this case, the "person" won't suddenly acquire years of experience ready for Tuesday's shoot. The best we can hope for is that he/she goes into it with the best equipment that fits in budget. The rest is hope!

OP,

Get the camera (whatever your final decision) as soon as reasonably possible. Try to get some practice time in prior to Tuesday in similar lighting conditions (if possible). You can even post here and ask questions. The idea is to be more familiar with the camera and the constraints/limits entering into the shoot.

Yes... I chose the 5D because it was one of the first (lower priced) full frame DSLRs that offered real improvements in high ISO results. Paired to the 50mm f/1.8 which costs about $100 it should be "capable enough". Its also a model that has been recently replaced so it should be available at a good discount.

Most reactions

Back