What does an advanced body give you that a beginner body doesn't?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by anubis404, Nov 5, 2008.

1. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I want to know what more advanced bodies give you that lesser bodies won't. I know that more advanced bodies will give you things like better IQ, FPS, and AF speed, but what else is in a D300 that a D80 doesn't have that's worth dropping nearly $1K more on? I hardly think IQ, FPS, and AF should be so expensive.

This is just out of curiosity. I know that generally the lens matters more than the body, but I do want to know what matters in the body.

2. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Weather sealing, ISO ratings, better build quality (seems one of the bigger things)

~Michael~

3. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A lot of the lower end bodies have weather sealing too. I guess I forgot to mention ISO and higher rating of shutter actuations. Durability seems the only reason so far why to spend that much money on a body.

4. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not a Nikon guy, but on Canon's the layout is more well tuned for the advanced user. Manual controls are a lot less clumsy, and such.

5. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

When we shot film the camera was little more than a box that held the film and provided a mount to hang a lens on. Today's DSLR is really a computer with a lens mount. If you are computer savvy, think of the $449 Walmart special with keyboard, monitor, mouse and printer. Compare that to the $3000 quad core box w/ extra cooling, extra power supply, dual head 3D graphics, gobbs of RAM, tera-bytes of hard drive storage and multiple DVD optical drives. This is a valid compairison between say the D60 and the D3. Only the distance between the two cameras and the two computers is wider. The D60 does not have a physical shutter, sort of like the computer not having any removable media drives. For me, the biggest difference in the D80 and the D300 is file quality and a metal chassis as opposed to plastic. If you are set on the D80 price point, take a look at the D90. The file quality is compairable to the D300. A couple of my friends who own both say the D90 file might even be slightly better. That leaves build quality the only really big difference.

6. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thus is just one of the reasons I continue to shoot film....Black or silver....... (Ok so there is more to it than that but...)

on a more serious note.

Duribility seems to be a major player in the disteinction nowadays

7. Alleh Lindquist

Alleh Lindquist TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A bunch of features and buttons that pros find important.

8. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally I, and I reckon most pro's, tend to go for upmarket bodies for the build quality, having just bought a new model myself, going through menus and setting the camera the way I like to use it I'll now probably hardly ever go into the menus again, as long as I have the camera controls configured how I like I tend to shoot from this point on. The many modes and functions available I would use on odd occasions if/when required but I'd rather just shoot without fiddling around, I've got a computer at home for that. H

9. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thing is I don't. H

10. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    With higher end bodies comes more capabilities and power. Bells and whistles aren't necessary to take good photos, but they sure can help!

11. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I asked this same question in another thread (just a couple of days ago) where someone was asking about a D90 or D700. JerryH gave a very good reply to it (in fact, I have to get back to it to thank him for that.)

Edit: There, I just bumped the thread to the top. FYI, it is right here as well.

12. Zest777

Zest777 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In a word, customizability (is that a word?)

You can change the way you interact with the camera a lot more in the D300 than in cheaper models.