What does "DATE" mean?

surfingfireman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello again,

I have seen numerous camera prices for bodies that come in DATE models or DATE backs. What does this mean? I originally assumed it meant you could have the date and time appear on the corner of you prints, but many cameras can do that and doesn't seem like a special feature that should increase the price of a camera body (which the DATE seems to do).

Thanks for your time.

Mike

You're original assumption was correct. For some reason they increase the model price just because they add a feature that includes date in the bottom corner of the photograph. I for one hate having the date in the corner and don't see why anyone would really want it as a selling feature (unless they have a lot of family reunions or something).

I bought a Pentax MZ-6 last spring and it came in what the called a Quartz Date model which was a little more then the standard body. I'm not sure what the exact price difference was. The funny thing was that I asked for and paid for the non-QD body, but the lady actually gave me the QD model by mistake.

I was able to disable the date easy enough. I didn't think it was worth returning. I didn't lose any money on it.

Well what do you know? Never would have figured my assumption was actually right. But you also answered another question I forget to add. Your "Quartz Date" must be the "QD" model I also see with camera bodies. I can't believe they charge more for that. My present SLR has it but I keep it turned off all the time. I did figure out an actual purpose for it though. When I am travelling or anywhere that I don't have the time (I don't wear watches), I can turn on the DATE to see what time it is.... Only problem is that sometimes I forget to turn it off and I get it printed on my pics.

Thanks for you help.

Most reactions

Back