What have I become?!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bkristopher, Aug 18, 2010.

1. bkristopher

bkristopher TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Insert back story..."I have always been interested in photography blah blah blah...upgraded to DSLR...blah blah blah".

I recently started investing a lot of time in this forum and reading about photography in general. I have shot and posted a few pictures here, but I find myself stuck in the mindset that I have to have the "perfect" image in mind before I shoot. And conditions or the photo concept must be "perfect" for me to even consider shooting. This may sound well and good to some of you, but it has basically rendered me useless because I spend most of my time analyzing an idea or concept and little time getting out there and shooting.

I don't know if this is common or I am a complete headcase, but any suggestions on how to breakout of this mindset would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* Went out on a walk to try and break the cycle. pictures posted on page 2.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. Stephen.C

Stephen.C TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats a good thing to some extent. Figure it out in your head, but don't let it stop you from taking out your camera, because no matter how good it looks inside your dome, its all about how good it looks through the viewfinder, and then the screen.
    Take out the camera and shoot!

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Always strive for the best, but don't let it stop you from shooting.

4. mishele

mishele Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Perfect conditions Bahhhhhhh........lol

It will never happen! ;) You need to just get out. Take your camera to the park and force yourself to just go shoot. Have no set picture you are looking for. Just go have fun. Some of my best shots have come from just messing around. You sometimes get out there and just SEE a shot as it is happening. Remember....have fun!! There shouldn't be so much stress. ;)

5. 786soul

786soul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've done the same, however now I'm trying to think quicker :) That way I still get some shots taken and with more practice they're getting better and better out of the camera.

If all else fails I've got photoshop to save my arse.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Man, that sounds serious. I'd definitely try to loosen up on the old trigger finger...ler 'er rip...perfection is the enemy of,well, you know...good enough and all that. Your original post is very interesting and honest.

Imagine it this way. Maybe it'll help. In order to live, you need to breathe. Would you refuse to take a breath because it was not ,"the perfect breath"? You know, from the diaphragm, reaching 100 percent lung capacity, held for the optimal length of time, and then exhaled at maximum efficiency? It seems to me that you are suffocating your photography in this drive for nothing less than perfection. Loosen up. Shoot more. Think less, react more. PRESS THE BUTTON!!!!

7. bkristopher

bkristopher TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know I am crazy sometimes...I just feel like if I have the idea in my head, I have a better chance at making a good capture. I have done the park walks, but the percentage of coming back with anything good seems so small to me. I guess I am having a hard time finding my niche.

Yeah, I am decent with photoshop so it helps.

8. bkristopher

bkristopher TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Derrel-

Subconsciously I know I need to get out and just shoot like crazy. Needing perfection is something I have always struggled with. I just need to loosen up and do it like you said.

9. mishele

mishele Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The only way to figure out what you like is to try lots of different types of things and you aren't going to do that sitting and thinking about it. =)

If it's the issue about messing a shot up........I do that all the time but the best part about that is I learn what to do next time! You can delete the shot and no one ever needs to know it happened...lol

:hug::

Oh and when I shoot an idea.......only half of the time does it end up exactly the way I wanted it. Ideas should be thought of as a creative stepping stone to the final shot. When you are actually doing the shoot new ideas pop up or you realize that it works better another way.

10. DanFinePhotography

DanFinePhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

:thumbup:

11. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    it aint film. it dont cost ****. you get instant results and have the option of deleting.

click click click click click....etc. :thumbup:

12. misstwinklytoes

misstwinklytoes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In the words of Nike...

"Just do it."