What Is A Snapshot

You don't think there's a difference between a snapshot and a thought out image? Really?

What Is A Snapshot
I took a shot of a snap. Would that be considered a snapshot or a snap shot?

i-dN7qTp5-XL.jpg

Very nice shot of a SNAP , well done and yes that is a snap shot for sure or maybe a shotsnap, well it is well done with a thought and effort in mind so no it is a MASTER PIECE :)

So this was taken to preserve the memory of your favorite jacket's snap! I had a hat that I felt this way about and my significant other made me throw it away because it was too dirty....I should have taken a snapshot of it......I really miss that hat.

You don't think there's a difference between a snapshot and a thought out image? Really?

Did I say that???? I am saying a thought out image can also be a snapshot

To me in my tiny world of definitions I made up for myself, a snapshot is an image where I did not have time to think. No time to think about composition, about light, about focussing.

With some experience and / or luck, a snapshot can be a good image still. But I had no chance to put any effort into it.

Just my personal view on this.

I never saw snapshot used as a dirty word until I came to this forum. I'm not sure why everyone over-analyzes it. To me it's a candid photo, nothing more. Whether it's a good or bad shot really has nothing to do with it IMO.

It is a dirty word?

Yeah!

Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot! Snapshot!

:p

You can call it anything you want! This is a photography forum, frequented by photographers and here a snapshot is a snapshot - whatever that may mean. But typically a snapshot anywhere is something that is just a recorded memory for the sake of recording a memory with "little or no" regard to a particular photograhic style....thats not from a dictionary, that's off the top of my head.

Sure you can plan a shot, shoot it and then call it a snapshot! feel your freedom!

sorry, clicked send too fast
as far as a dirty word

when someone says "it looks like a snapshot", they typically mean that it looks like "little to no" effort was put into the planing of the image.

To me in my tiny world of definitions I made up for myself, a snapshot is an image where I did not have time to think. No time to think about composition, about light, about focussing.

With some experience and / or luck, a snapshot can be a good image still. But I had no chance to put any effort into it.

Just my personal view on this.

I see what you mean and thank you again for your view>

I think we all do out very best to take a meaningful image, to do our best work with as much thought as our knowledge and mind can give us. I don't feel anyone wants to take a BAD photo. However we sometimes do not reach our intention. My view is I always try to think about, light, composition focus etc even it only for a split second prior to the SNAP!

Matt, if you have one, I will gladly sign your petition to have "snapshot" mean something other than what it does.....

or

Lets think up a word for "this is an unplanned spur of the moment image so I am excused for it not being a masterpiece" or something to that effect.

SNAPSHOT.......Oh dang, that one is already taken..................lol

By most of your definitions, the majority of 'street' photography falls into your snapshot category.. guess i'm a snapshot fan.. *shrug

Well, this has no end to it so for me this is my end to, What is a snapshot? Like everything in life it is open to everyone's point of view. I guess I am just not that typically of a person.

I think i need sum fun and just go out and relax and take some snapshots :lmao:

By most of your definitions, the majority of 'street' photography falls into your snapshot category.. guess i'm a snapshot fan.. *shrug

If I prepare for street photography, my camera has got the lens I anticipate to be the right lens for the special moment, it is set to the aperture and speed I anticipate right for the light which is there, and often I hold the camera roughly towards where I consider the interesting to appear. So I am prepared ... just like the sports photographer will take a perfect shot of the ball hitting the net. This I do not consider a snapshot.

But if I am thrown into a situation unprepared, ... then a snapshot will come out of this.

As I said, just how I personally use the term.

Matt, if you have one, I will gladly sign your petition to have "snapshot" mean something other than what it does.....

or

Lets think up a word for "this is an unplanned spur of the moment image so I am excused for it not being a masterpiece" or something to that effect.

SNAPSHOT.......Oh dang, that one is already taken..................lol

------------------------------

I wanted to know what it meant to others so I would not use that word again for a C&C, That being said, I like snapshots that is fine with me, no need to find another word, we LOVE our SNAPSHOTS

To me, as a wildlife photographer, the distinction between "snapshot" is fairly easy to make. Sometimes when I find an interesting animal, I just want to get a quick shot of it without putting much work into "photographing" it. I usually just get where I can see most of the animal and make it fill up most of the frame so I can get the most details for identification and whatnot. This is a snapshot:

Then other times when I find an animal I feel like photographing properly, I can spend a long time making sure I get everything right - lighting, exposure, and most importantly, the composition. A visually-pleasing photograph is the main goal, showing the characteristics of the subject comes second. This is a photograph:

Oftentimes I'll take snapshots and proper photographs of the same animal, for because each has a different purpose.

Snapshot:

Photograph:

Why does it matter if its used for CC?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back