What is the difference between mirrorless camera and a DSLR?

Jodieyj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I've been recently researching about which DSLR is recommended for a beginner to use. D3300 were the top list on Google. However, the speed of the camera might not that good as others. I just went to the electronic shop on yesterday and they recommended me mirrorless camera instead of DSLR!

It looks quite good and cool for the mirrorless camera. It is lighter than DSLR of course, it would be very convenient to use if you are traveling around. However, I'm looking for a camera which is under my budget of $550 AUD and able to really capture a good image of landscape and night view.

Any recommendation for that? Appreciate for it! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum!
A mirrorless camera lacks a mirror.
That mirror would reflect the view through your lens into the optical viewfinder of a DSLR
The mirrorless instead creates that view digitally from the image sensor and has a digital viewfinder (well, some only have a monitor and no viewfinder at all).
Theoretically if they both had the same sensor (which is entirely possible) and the same electronics and software, they would create the same image.
To decide between DSLR and mirrorless is a tough one. I currently use mirrorless for 90% of my work.
A mirrorless to consider when talking about the D3300 is the sony a6000. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately the Sony is slightly out of your budget and when buying new lenses Nikon is the cheapter option. However, if you still decide to go mirrorless, I´d strongly recommend sony.
Does that help?

Hi guys!
I've been recently researching about which DSLR is recommended for a beginner to use. D3300 were the top list on Google. However, the speed of the camera might not that good as others. I just went to the electronic shop on yesterday and they recommended me mirrorless camera instead of DSLR!

It looks quite good and cool for the mirrorless camera. It is lighter than DSLR of course, it would be very convenient to use if you are traveling around. However, I'm looking for a camera which is under my budget of $550 AUD and able to really capture a good image of landscape and night view.

The major complaint about mirrorless cameras is that they have slow auto focus compared to SLR's. That may or may not be an issue for you. The mirrorless cameras don't have as extensive a system of lenses and accessories as SLR's. That may or may not be an issue for you. Otherwise the mirrorless is probably a more practical choice. I had a Pentax mirrorless here for a while. It did great photography. I ended up selling it simply because of my lens collection for the DSLR's. I wasn't ready to equip the mirrorless with lenses I already had for another system. You should be fine either way.

That mirror would reflect the view through your lens into the optical viewfinder of a DSLR
The mirrorless instead creates that view digitally from the image sensor and has a digital viewfinder (well, some only have a monitor and no viewfinder at all).
Theoretically if they both had the same sensor (which is entirely possible) and the same electronics and software, they would create the same image.
To decide between DSLR and mirrorless is a tough one. I currently use mirrorless for 90% of my work.
A mirrorless to consider when talking about the D3300 is the sony a6000. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately the Sony is slightly out of your budget and when buying new lenses Nikon is the cheapter option. However, if you still decide to go mirrorless, I´d strongly recommend sony.
Does that help?

Hi! Thanks for the informative replied! I'm thinking if my purpose is to learn how to take a relly good shot of landscape picture, shall I go for DSLR instead? But I saw that mirrorless works well too. This is where makes me can't make a decision. :concern: I see, sony is good at their image quality? I've did some research on Sony as well. Sony a5000 vs Canon M10. But the low light function seems like M10 works well than a5000. Not sure about a6000. Haven't researched about it yet. What about Canon M10?

Really appreciate of your recommendation!! :cheerful:

Hi guys!

The major complaint about mirrorless cameras is that they have slow auto focus compared to SLR's. That may or may not be an issue for you. The mirrorless cameras don't have as extensive a system of lenses and accessories as SLR's. That may or may not be an issue for you. Otherwise the mirrorless is probably a more practical choice. I had a Pentax mirrorless here for a while. It did great photography. I ended up selling it simply because of my lens collection for the DSLR's. I wasn't ready to equip the mirrorless with lenses I already had for another system. You should be fine either way.

I see! I think I got your point. Mirrorless camera works well too on photo taking, it just depends on how far would I go. DSLR definitely is the choice if would like to learn more about photography and be professional isn't it?
Thanks for your advice!

Hi guys!

Actually mirrorless like the M43 have faster AF than DSLR's in S-AF mode. Up until recently it was the C-AF that was a lot slower then DSLR's because it uses CDAF which makes it super fast for S-AF but not so for C-AF. That is why it was always recommended that if you have to do action get a DSLR. But with recent mirrorless cameras using PDAF or hybrid PDAF/CDAF the AF for action is very comparable to DSLR's.

I agree with BrentC. The latest generation of Mirrorless actually focuses faster than a DSLR in SAF mode.

You will have a tough time finding a new camera and lens for $440AUD. You may want to think about used or refurbished.

Does that help?

Hi! Thanks for the informative replied! I'm thinking if my purpose is to learn how to take a relly good shot of landscape picture, shall I go for DSLR instead? But I saw that mirrorless works well too. This is where makes me can't make a decision. :concern: I see, sony is good at their image quality? I've did some research on Sony as well. Sony a5000 vs Canon M10. But the low light function seems like M10 works well than a5000. Not sure about a6000. Haven't researched about it yet. What about Canon M10?

Really appreciate of your recommendation!! :cheerful:
Hi again,
you can get the same quality images from mirrorless or DSLR. That said - for the same price range, you´d get better images from DSLR for the moment because they are a bit cheaper. I don´t know much about either Canon M10, or Sony a5000. And unfortunately on my main resource for camera comparisons (dpreview.com), there is no in depth preview available for the M10. I´m not a fanboy of either brand and have used and recommend all major brands. The a6000 has become somewhat legendary because of its value for money. I do own one and have recommended it to 3 friends who are totally satisfied. Canon doesn´t have the best reputation for mirrorless so far.
If you want to compare image quality - here is a link: Sony a6000 Review You can choose different cameras and ISO values to see how they perform. Unfortunately the M10 is not listed, only the M5.
However, there is more to a camera than pure image quality, and lenses usually have more influence on image quality than the camera does (except for high ISO noise - but a fast lens can even bring that down quite a lot, if you shoot wide open). But then again, lenses are cheaper for DSLRs so that´s what I would base my decision on.
Buying used or refurbished as Gary suggests is a good idea - if you don´t like it you can sell it later without losing too much money.

The Canon m10 is garbage. Stay away from that.

I agree with the rest when they advise you to go used dslr. I love my mirrorless, but the quality you get in a dslr for the money is way better. I'd look into a used Nikon d500 something like that. You can get a REALLY good camera used for the same amount of money that you get a crappy camera brand new.

Just because it's new doesn't make it good and just because it's used doesn't make it crappy. There are a TON of people that buy the latest and greatest every time a new camera comes out.

It would be the same if I were to say to you... "do you want a 2 year old BMW for 15,000$ or a brand new Kia for $15,000?" Obviously the BMW (even though it has 20,000 miles on it) is going to be a FAR, FAR better car than a brand new Kia.

Hi guys!

Actually mirrorless like the M43 have faster AF than DSLR's in S-AF mode. Up until recently it was the C-AF that was a lot slower then DSLR's because it uses CDAF which makes it super fast for S-AF but not so for C-AF. That is why it was always recommended that if you have to do action get a DSLR. But with recent mirrorless cameras using PDAF or hybrid PDAF/CDAF the AF for action is very comparable to DSLR's.

Thanks. Apparently the technology is improving.

Hi guys!

I see! I think I got your point. Mirrorless camera works well too on photo taking, it just depends on how far would I go. DSLR definitely is the choice if would like to learn more about photography and be professional isn't it?
Thanks for your advice!

I wouldn't say that. The reason pros use SLR's more than mirrorless cameras is that the SLR systems are broader and more flexible. I don't think it has anything to do with the cameras. When the mirrorless camera systems catch up, I suspect the mirrorless will put the DSLR out of business. The mirrorless camera I used had an APS-C sensor with 16 mpx. That's right in there with DSLR's. There are even a few full frame mirrorless. If I were starting out today I would go with a solid mirrorless system like the Fuji.

Hi guys!

Thanks. Apparently the technology is improving.

yes, mirrorless technology is improving. Soon people will be saying "why did they ever put mirrors in cameras"?
Or "what did you do in the mirrorless-DSLR wars, Dad"?
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

There are a number of mirrorless cameras on the market that have APS-C size sensors. But there are also versions with smaller sensors. The 4/3rds format has a sensor where the diagonal measure of the sensor is almost exactly half that of a full-frame DSLR -- meaning it has a crop factor of 2.0.

If you like background blur, this is going to hinder your ability to get it. If you can imagine how much background blur you'd get with a given lens at a given f-stop, you literally multiply that f-stop by the crop factor.

e.g. if you were shooting with a lens at f/4 and getting some level of blur on a full-frame camera, but now use the same focal length and f-stop on a 4/3rds camera (crop factor = 2.0) then it would be "as if" you shot that on a full-frame camera at f/8 (so you wouldn't see much blur.)

Not everyone likes the background blur. Some people prefer the look of "f/8 and be there". But this is why smartphone cameras typically have no ability to create background blur at all (Apple does it with their latest phone, but they do a bit of a cheat using two cameras and they're basically internally photo-shopping the results to create the shallow DoF appearance. Natively the sensor & lens isn't able to do it without this digital manipulation.)

Most reactions

Back