What is the difference between mirrorless camera and a DSLR?

To answer you question... A DSLR has a mirror. A mirrorless camera doesn't have a mirror.

To answer you question... A DSLR has a mirror. A mirrorless camera doesn't have a mirror.
vampires-kiss.jpg

I wouldn't say that. The reason pros use SLR's more than mirrorless cameras is that the SLR systems are broader and more flexible.

Sorry I have to disagree with this. There is very little my DSLRs can do that my mirrorless can't (even though mine are older models). Mirrorless cameras are generally more flexible than DSLRs. The shorter registration distance most of them have allows more flexibility. My mirrorless cameras can use all my DSLR lenses (though the autofocus doesn't work with them & a few loose aperture control - These controls could have been kept if my DSLR was a Canon)
Not only this but adapters for them can introduce other features to the lens (such as tilt, or closer focusing). In addition many other legacy lenses unusable by my DSLR are fine for my mirrorless cameras via affordable adapters.
The DSLR is completely unable to use any of the mirrorless lenses or most of those legacy lenses not specifically designed for its mount for anything other than macro.

IMO the main reasons pros stick with DSLRs is because they are what they have & what they're used to. Early mirrorless cameras did suffer from viewfinder lag but that's no longer noticeable.

I wouldn't say that. The reason pros use SLR's more than mirrorless cameras is that the SLR systems are broader and more flexible.

Sorry I have to disagree with this. There is very little my DSLRs can do that my mirrorless can't (even though mine are older models). Mirrorless cameras are generally more flexible than DSLRs. The shorter registration distance most of them have allows more flexibility. My mirrorless cameras can use all my DSLR lenses (though the autofocus doesn't work with them & a few loose aperture control - These controls could have been kept if my DSLR was a Canon)
Not only this but adapters for them can introduce other features to the lens (such as tilt, or closer focusing). In addition many other legacy lenses unusable by my DSLR are fine for my mirrorless cameras via affordable adapters.
The DSLR is completely unable to use any of the mirrorless lenses or most of those legacy lenses not specifically designed for its mount for anything other than macro.

IMO the main reasons pros stick with DSLRs is because they are what they have & what they're used to. Early mirrorless cameras did suffer from viewfinder lag but that's no longer noticeable.

So we disagree.

Mirrorless or Mirror, thats just one of many variables in a camera system. And by no means a really important one; excellent camera systems are possible with both techniques.

Another such choice in a camera system would be for example sensor size. APS-C means still good performance for basically no price - APS-C sensors are dirt cheap compared to the cost of a good system camera. Full frame means more reserves but they still cost a substantial amount. Crop 645 medium format 44x33mm still costs some thousands of dollars.

The best and priciest mirrorless, namely the Fujifilm X-T2, seem to get really close to DSLR now when it comes to Autofocus. However they still lack the lenses.

What you want to descide about is what system you want to go for. And that goes far beyond only such a detail such as mirrorless vs mirror. All kinds of things have to be considered; like whats the bang for the buck you get, how reliable is the camera, how good are the ergonomics, how good is support and repair ....

The most important variable of any camera system, IMHO, is the availability, pricing and quality of lenses. Thats why I went with Nikon and why I still would go with Nikon. Nikon is one of the best lens designers, they have crazy backward compability (Leica M is even better in that respect, though), they allow to use excellent lenses for basically dirt cheap from long time ago, etc.

I have both a dSLR (Nikon D7000-D750) and a mirrorless (Sony A6000). The biggest difference I have noticed between the 2 systems, is the way you look at the picture you are about to take. With a dSLR, you are looking directly via mirrors and or penta prisms through the taking lens of the camera. When you take a picture the mirror flips up out of the way and the shutter (which is behind the mirror) opens briefly exposing the sensor to the image. The image is then recorded and saved to the camera card. With mirrorless, when you look through the viewfinder you are looking at a small video screen which is previewing the image from the sensor. I like the mirrorless view finder best when taking pictures inside in lower light. It automatically brightens up to let you see what you are taking pictures of. But, outside, the viewfinder image from the dSLR is much brighter, contrasty, and with higher saturation. Both take excellent pictures.

A mirrorless camera isn't simply a camera that doesn't have the mirror. The mirrorless camera is a camera capable of doing all the stuff the DSLR can but doesn't need the mirror.

A mirrorless camera isn't simply a camera that doesn't have the mirror. The mirrorless camera is a camera capable of doing all the stuff the DSLR can but doesn't need the mirror.
Laughing.gif

So it's a camera that doesn't have a mirror.

All the new Sonys, A6300, A6500 and A7R2 have much better focus systems than pro Nikons or Canons. I just switched from D810 and D750 to 2 A7R2's and the completely kill the Nikons. One of my second shooters uses a 5D4 and the Sonys where faster than that too!

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

My Fuji's are faster and more accurate at focus acquisition in Single Frame Mode. But my 1Ds are a bit better at tracking in Continuous Mode. But it is just a matter of time.

My Oly EM1 MK2 is faster at S-AF than DSLR's because of CDAF. And C-AF compares to most DSLR's because it uses PDAF for that.

Keep in mind there's more differences.
A DSLR has a AutoFocus Sensor at the bottom of the camera sensor chamber, the image is sent to that location via the secondary mirror.

With a Mirrorless the AF is handled by other pixels on the sensor itself.

And with the DSLR the primary mirror directs the image to the pentamirror or pentaprism and the light meter. With the mirrorless the sensor signal is sent to the Electronic ViewFinder.

of course Mirrorless cameras are smaller as they don't have the larger Optical ViewFinder which gets replaced with an Electronic ViewFinder (or may not have one at all and only relie on the rear LCD panel); also no mirror or secondary mirror and no separate AF sensor. Thus it can have a lot smaller Sensor chamber area. Of course they've been coming with smaller batteries and all that stuff too to make the even smaller.

Last edited:
Grab a used Fuji x-e2 and a Fuji lens or adapter a manual focus lens for some fun. I often see used x-e2's for $300-400 usd

One of the major advantages of the minorless systems are the ability to adapt hundreds of legacy lenses with third party adapters. You loose auto focus but you can get some amazing images for a low cost. I just grabbed a Minolta MD 35-70mm f3.5 macro for $60.

Most reactions

Back