What is the difference between mirrorless camera and a DSLR?

I don't know what has been written in other posts which specifically or vaguely in a more confusing way answer your question but think of a periscope in an old WW2 submarine. Light came in at the top was bounced around by mirrors down a tube into the captains eye piece, its the same in a (D) SLR only on a smaller modern scale.

A mirrorless camera doesn't have this mirror system and instead relies on binary code (digital signal) to produce what you see in the eye piece or the HD screen on the back of your camera/ phone.

Why did I puttee (D) in DSLR in brackets: D in DSLR stands for digital. It gets slightly complicated now, for me to explain in a short sentence. Essentially in the old days SLRs used film, today film has been replaced by a sensor board/plate. So todays DSLRSs combine the old style periscope technology with modern binary technology.

Whats the brass tax difference: because mirrorless cameras don't incorporate a true the periscope system they have no mirrors and are therefore lighter.

I don't know what has been written in other posts which specifically or vaguely in a more confusing way answer your question but think of a periscope in an old WW2 submarine. Light came in at the top was bounced around by mirrors down a tube into the captains eye piece, its the same in a (D) SLR only on a smaller modern scale.

A mirrorless camera doesn't have this mirror system and instead relies on binary code (digital signal) to produce what you see in the eye piece or the HD screen on the back of your camera/ phone.

Why did I puttee (D) in DSLR in brackets: D in DSLR stands for digital. It gets slightly complicated now, for me to explain in a short sentence. Essentially in the old days SLRs used film, today film has been replaced by a sensor board/plate. So todays DSLRSs combine the old style periscope technology with modern binary technology.

Whats the brass tax difference: because mirrorless cameras don't incorporate a true the periscope system they have no mirrors and are therefore lighter.
Without the mirror system, you do not have a reflex, hence no slr. A single-lens reflex camera (SLR) is a camera that typically uses a mirror and prism system (hence "reflex" from the mirror's reflection) that permits the photographer to view through the lens and see exactly what will be captured.

No mirror, no reflex. No reflex, no SLR. No SLR, no DSLR. Thus the term mirrorless camera.

Most reactions

Back