What is the scam?

In general, paypal will not care, and just take the money out from your account. Of course, if you withdraw all the money in your account right away, that is a different story. Not sure what Paypal will do afterward.
In that case they would take the money out of your bank account. (They can & will too - read the legal section on their website.)

Last edited:
just try to sell your camera in your area. well this is more secure. and just do meet ups.. i had been doing that. old fashioned way but its more secure for me...

Same reason why I only sell to someone with in the U.S. which unfortunately limited the number of people of some items I tried to sell here on the TPF.

Paypal's SPP requires you to ship to a confirmed address. You can confirm an address in the UK or Canada. No point not shipping there, as long as the address is confirmed.

You also need to use delivery confirmation (signature req. over $250) so most of you probably aren't protected anyway.

Confirmed addresss is just information. Information is useless unless it can be used or leveraged. Its not a guarantee nor a deterant. Its difficult to track down, bring charges, file a complaint, etc... if the person who ripped you off is in another part of the U.S. much less another country.. even Canada.

So no, I'm not dealing with $1000+ items across international borders. If I were a business entity with the resources, I would definitely work everythinig out as it is just part of business. I am however just an individual...

Same reason why I only sell to someone with in the U.S. which unfortunately limited the number of people of some items I tried to sell here on the TPF.

I also make sure that the money is transferred out of my Paypal account prior to shipment.
in that case, you'd jsut get your account blocked, money subtracted and put back to the original owner.
This is why I never use Paypal or Eghey, they will allow you to be ripped off and, say so sad too bad.

Call him back and let him know when you have received and cashed your money order directly, not through any escrow service, then you will send him the camera. You won't hear from the guy again.

This is why I never use Paypal or Eghey, they will allow you to be ripped off and, say so sad too bad.

I will still prefer to use Paypal for transactions BUT with the idea in mind that they just a means to transfer money. They are not a means of securing a transfer of funds securely and safely. Paypal doesn't care... It is simply your responsibility to protect yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back