What is the very first setting i should change when taking a photo?

rasheemo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In preparation for when my camera comes in the mail, I am trying to learn as much as possible about picture taking.

So basically, what manual setting do i change first? do i determine white balance first, then aperture and THEN shutter speed? do i change the focus, then aperture for proper DOF, and then ISO? im a little confused as to what i should do first since i'm pretty sure a lot of the settings are dependent on each other (aperture and ISO are inverses)

First; read the manual you'll get with the camera. Second; read it again; it will tell you how to get started
I'm serious; many of the questions which come up here could have been simply answered by doing a little reading!

i dont have a manual =[

thanks anyway

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414088

1: read that and other websites and things on this forum

2: put your camera on P mode, so that it determines the aperture and shutter speed and just work on the ISO and set the WB at auto

3: shoot like that for a while...not 15 minutes, not half an hour, as long as you feel you have already done enough with that and know how it all works, then go into the other modes in your camera

etc. etc..

don't rush things!

below is a link from a thread that was here a while ago, helped me to get started and helps you understand everything well

"correct exposure"

Not sure if you need to determine WB first. Camera normally does a pretty good job and if you mess with it, it will just be an extra variable for you to ponder if/when something goes wrong.

My opinion is to make it as simple as possible.

Use camera in auto mode a couple days so you know what it is capable of in auto mode. This will give you a frame of reference when you go to "artistic modes". Otherwise, when a shot comes out funky, you will not know if it were equipment error, or user error.

After auto mode, I would recommend "Av" - this is where you control aperture.

Outdoors, I'm in "Av" like 99.99% of the time. Indoors, with flash, I'm in "M" mode. I've played with "Tv" mode, but have pretty much not found it useful for my subjects.

I have a 30D, but recently am playing with a 40D ... 40D has auto ISO which is "nice" - when experimenting, you should probably take it out of auto mode - start with 100.

manuals are pretty easy to find online in pdf. also, ebay has a pretty good selection of manuals for sale.

ahh good point! i just downloaded the pdf and will start reading it right away.

thanks for your help as always everyone, you always come through for me :heart:

I would really recommend some solid reading in basic understanding of light and lighting and photography in general. There is a world of incredible reading material waiting at your library. When it comes to style look at the famous(or not famous) photographers you admire. Identify what it is you like in their work. Emulate... not copy. Emulate. :)

Local SIG's sometimes have classes that are great. As do your local community colleges as well.

Whatever the case. Shoot to please you, then shoot to please others, then shoot because you must.

Each of the settings has more than one function, and they all come together to make the correct exposure. It's all a compromise and balance.

Want to make sure you freeze action, or give motion blur (panning, silky water etc.)? Then shutter speed is the major factor.

Want to achieve a certain depth of field? Then make aperture your main priority.

Want to achieve a particular shutter speed AND depth of field, but there's not enough light? Bump up your ISO.

The order in which you do things should rest solely on your priority.

But I'd listen to the people above, too. Don't jump into the deep end, learning correct exposure AND composition etc. all at once. You may end up frying your brain.

Most reactions

Back