What is up

who let him be a pilot?
I think it's hard to really comment on this unless you are familiar with German laws pertaining to the employment application process. Where I work, it has been brought up that polygraph testing should be done on fire department candidates like it is with the law enforcement jobs. It's a valid idea, but Maryland State law forbids employers from requiring polygraph unless it is a law enforcement agency.

Polygraphs are a joke and have been proven ineffective so much so that they are no admissable in most courts.

We could not disqualify an applicant for "failing" a poly, alone. If deception was indicated by the test, the investigator had to get the applicant to admit they lied.

who let him be a pilot?
I think it's hard to really comment on this unless you are familiar with German laws pertaining to the employment application process. Where I work, it has been brought up that polygraph testing should be done on fire department candidates like it is with the law enforcement jobs. It's a valid idea, but Maryland State law forbids employers from requiring polygraph unless it is a law enforcement agency.

Polygraphs are a joke and have been proven ineffective so much so that they are no admissable in most courts.

We could not disqualify an applicant for "failing" a poly, alone. If deception was indicated by the test, the investigator had to get the applicant to admit they lied.

You are missing the point, there is no "test" the results are decided by the person giving the test.

OK, I'll agree that it is the interpretation of recorded physical changes in muscle contraction, perspiration, respiration and heart rate.

Regardless, it is a tool that an investigator can use. The same as a psychological or even medical examination as part of an employment process.

The guy was also extremely inexperienced! According to what one lifelong commercial pilot said, it's likely the young German's 630 total hours represented maybe 200 to 300 in flight school, the balance for Lufthansa's budget airline. He had a class three FAA medical cert...a 200-question questionnaire good for three years...not even class one,which would need much more extensive testing and have to be renewed every six months-his certification was of the LOWEST level...as he put it, "No way I want that kid next to me, there's NO experience for actual seasoning." The little puke (age 27) was a psych washout from his training for Gawd's sakes!!!! This kid was a WASHOUT who came BACK to flight school! OMFG--no way you lwet those kinds of losers back into a program! Today, it's been revealed that he had suicidal tendencies. Ya think?

OK, I'll agree that it is the interpretation of recorded physical changes in muscle contraction, perspiration, respiration and heart rate.

Regardless, it is a tool that an investigator can use. The same as a psychological or even medical examination as part of an employment process.

You're half right. ME's can draw conclusions from hard data whereas psychologists are still just using educated guesses. That's why they call head shrinking a "soft science".

Ironic that a security measure put in place for their protection should be the very thing that sealed the fate of those on board. The crowd-control fences put up at English football grounds were an anti-hooligan measure meant for the protection of supporters. The people crushed to death at Hillsborough were victims of a similar twist of fate. It is very difficult to cover all the angles, and to prepare for every contingency is nigh on impossible. The fences have come down in The Football League, the problem with the cockpit door also needs a rethink.

Why worry about it, if **** is going to happen it will happen
What, me worry?

No, I'm not worried, I'm incredulous, I'm angry, I'm chagrinned, I'm cautious, and I'm taking my business elsewhere. I will gladly go where the NSA, TSA, FAA, et al are NOT.

Most reactions

Back