What kind of sunglasses are you wearing?

For the first time in my life, I was actually going to get a pair of cool, wrap-around, RayBans in plastic frames and actually have some decent looking sunglasses. But after all was said and done, they wanted way too much for them. The cost of the lens since they were wrap-arounds were already high, then you HAD to buy the green rayban glass, the store could not fit them with their own glass, and it would be a special order taking forever to get them done (prescription here).

I ended up buying the cheapest frames I could find because the store I bought my regular glasses at was having a half off a second pair. So I ended up with two pairs for less than what the $90 rayban frames would have cost me...

Mine are polarized prescription, single vision, in 14K gold plated Italian frames, with a single-piece nose bridge and REAL GLASS lenses...none of this plastic or resin crap for my sunglasses. Very close-to-the face frames that block out most of the side-entry sun rays. I really do not like to shoot photos wearing sunglasses, but I have a few times. I wear them mostly for river and saltwater salmon fishing,where the UV rays can cause eye damage, and to alleviate eyestrain on open water.

If you wear cheap sunglasses that can not filter UV rays, you're really not taking proper care of your eyes. Opening UP the pupils by putting cheap sunglasses in front of your eyes then blasting your wide-open eyes with UV rays...NOT good. THis is especially bad for kids; do NOT let your kids wear CHEAP, non-UV protecting sunglasses. Ever. At least that's what my eye doctor has been telling people for 30 years.

You're right - sunglasses should always have protection from UV. Luckily these days, even the cheapest sunglasses have that. I have several cheap pairs kicking around but I always make sure they have UV protection.

If I'm out taking pictures with my sunglasses on, I always have to take them off to actually take a shot. The only time I keep them on is when I'm shooting with a TLR or the Rollei that has scale focus, and even then, I'll sometimes take them off if I'm not taking a really quick shot.

But I'm almost always wearing sunglasses, even if it's not very sunny but there's still a glare. My green eyes are pretty sensitive to light and they start hurting easily in sunlight, which can also trigger a migraine. When the headache hits, even indoor lights are too harsh, so I'll wear sunglasses inside my house, and if I'm at work, I wear them for as much time as I can get away with.

Last edited:
Blue and gold raybans.

Pair of polarized safety glasses
pair of yellow safety glasses
Pair of polarized amber glasses
Pair of cheapo polarized glasses

maybe $100 in total.

It is tempted to buy Oakley or Ray-Ban. I always want to get one of those, but I keep scratching and breaking a lot. Many $20.00 sunglasses have 100% UVA and UVB protection.

For the first time in my life, I was actually going to get a pair of cool, wrap-around, RayBans in plastic frames and actually have some decent looking sunglasses. But after all was said and done, they wanted way too much for them. The cost of the lens since they were wrap-arounds were already high, then you HAD to buy the green rayban glass, the store could not fit them with their own glass, and it would be a special order taking forever to get them done (prescription here).

I ended up buying the cheapest frames I could find because the store I bought my regular glasses at was having a half off a second pair. So I ended up with two pairs for less than what the $90 rayban frames would have cost me...

I choked when I read this. I spent like $300 on my non-prescription Oakleys. lol

Granted, that was 11 years ago.

I recently spend $75 to get them tuned up. So $375/11 years= $34 a year.

I can live with that. :)

I have none... I've never been able to wear it.

I should wear them, doctors recommendations, but... well...

I choked when I read this. I spent like $300 on my non-prescription Oakleys. lol

My Oakley's weren't as expensive but have the same experience. I've had them WAY longer than any other sunglasses I used to that point, so they have been cheaper. I love the lenses from them because they cover my eyes and wrap toward my temples, which I feel gives me better protection.

Seems obscene.

Seems obscene.

:popcorn:

I've worn sunglasses since I was a teenager, mostly Aviator style back then. Once I put on polarized lenses, I never looked back. I've gone with very expensive to not-so-much and the expensive ones always seemed to disappear or get damaged the quickest. Right now I only have 4 pair, Ralph Lauren (that are at least 15 years old), Peppers (about 5 years) and Native (just bought) and a pair of safety glasses for yard work and such from Lowes hardware.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a photography forum, even in the OTC at the heart of it. Don't be shy folks, Let us see 'em.

New%20Running%20Shoes-35-XL.jpg

Backup-36-XL.jpg

SP-24-XL.jpg

You%27ve%20Got%20Mail-2010%20edit%20web-XL.jpg

09%20June-15-Edit%20800-XL.jpg

SP%2010%20May-2%20bw%20web-XL.jpg

Bloody%20Mary%20Morning%201-XL.jpg

Blow%20Job-1-XL.jpg

:biggrin:

$image-1792907756.jpg

$10 on sale

$5, at target