What lens to buy for hubby?

Marpha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Nice People!

So, I've bought a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8MP SLR for my husband for Christmas. An 18-55mm lense came with. He's going to be pumped!

But I don't know what other lenses, if any, I should get for him. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to get him a lense that specializes in macros. :cyclops: Is there such a thing?

Thanks for your input!
:mrgreen:

I've heard good things about the Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens, and it's not too spendy.

Or, he may enjoy a nice telephoto. For example the Canon 70-200 f4 would be an excellent choice as well, and again, not super spendy.

Is your hubby familiar with photography?

If not, then maybe a book is the best at this point. The more lenses you have, the less you use each of them. ;)

What is he likely to photograph? Little kids? Kids playing sports? Those are two different lens types. If there's no kids, how about landscape?

If you have a sense of what he might shoot, it will be easier to recommend a lens. They are usually pretty purpose-driven beasts. Let us know, we'll be gald to dispense advice.

You guys are awesome! I didn't expect for ANYONE to respond and I got some really great advice and some questions I hadn't thought of!

First, thank you for the suggestions!

Second, price range: I'll be going for used from eBay or some other source of cheaper items. I know some of these lenses can approach $2,000...I might have to wait a Christmas if I can't find anything with one less zero.:cry:

Next, Mark has been working with a simple digital (sorry, don't know the name) for about three years. He has enough books now and needs to get out there and click some. I like the thought, though, that he may not need more lenses just yet...and so does the budget.

Finally, he's into nature macros, although he does take kid shots, too. One of my favorite that he's done is a picture of a succulent plant after a rain with the rain droplets hanging out on the plant's appendages. You can see the refraction of our house in the droplets. I would show you, but I'm on the wrong computer.

Again, thank you, bunches!

The kit lens is a nice start, he can wait until he knows what he wants before getting anything new.

As far as macro goes, there's a lens you might want to research called the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

It's $380 new, but I bet you can get it cheaper used. For some reason a lot of vendors on eBay show it for up to $100 more than B&H Photo.

One more comment: if he's taking pictures of droplets hanging off leaves then he is obviously interested in photography beyond mere snapshotting. Any gear you get him will be happily received and put to good use. A macro lens is fun, but also look into getting something that has more all-round use.

A lens I have gotten years of good use out of is the EF 28-135mm IS. I've had mine for about 4 years now, and beaten the daylights out of it. New it's around $380, don't know if a used one is cheaper, or money well spent.

I know that's more than you wanted to spend, but it will be money well spent.

And then as part of the gift you write down the URL to this forum, so we can give him lots of pointers on how to shoot fun pics.

Keep asking.

Marpha, for the budget-conscious, I'd recommend a couple of third-party companies, especially Sigma and Tokina, as they seem to have pretty high quality glass, and generally for much less than a first-party equivalent. Sigma makes a gorgeous 105mm f/2.8 Macro lens, and Tokina's 100mm f/2.8 Macro is just as good. Both retail for around $400, but can be had for less on eBay with a watchful eye. Sigma also offers a beautiful 50mm f/2.8 Macro lens for $269 new.

Another idea to consider is getting a basic 50mm f/1.8 prime lens for about $70 retail and buying a set of extension tubes for around $170. This is a bit more cost effective than buying a dedicated macro lens, and will gain you a couple of stops when the lens is used solo, which will help when photographing fast-moving children.

Welcome to TPF!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back