What lens to use?

amandajw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm getting a Canon Rebel XTi or Nikon D40 most likley...I know popular and normal but at least reliable.
I'm going to Ireland soon and wanted to know which lens anyone would recommend to use for landscape shots (im thinking a telephoto, though am not sure).
Also, which lens should I buy for close-ups; such as of faces or drinks.
(I'm more intrested in the later one to shot drinks and be able to catch the smoke from something like a cigarette clearly).

I would just take a good medium zoom and a single fast 50mm prime. That should cover the versatility of a zoom and the night-time, low-light, portrait work of a normal prime.

For the Canon, I like the 28-135 IS USM and the 50mm f1.8 prime. Thats if you can live with the 28mm focal length being your widest on a cropped body.

ok i'm a newbie and don't know too much but i did recently purchase the canon 50mm 1.8. for faces, drinks, etc this is the lens. it is amazing and very affordable!

I have a rebal xt, and belive it or not the lens I get the most use out of is my 70-200 f4L. It is pretty cheap for a L lens, works great for portraits, wild life, really anything other than wide angle. If your looking more for wide angle I have a sigma 18-50 f3.5-5.6 for sale;). I also have a 50mm 1.8 and find it to be perfect for low light days, really if you have to you can make it work in almost any situation. My trouble with the 50 is that in low light your going to wack it wide open, and the depth of field is always way shallower than you might think, so if you get the 50 keep that in mind.
As far as landscapes go, I personally use a 17-40 f4L. The 50 is too long for the way I like to shoot landscapes.
The 28-135 is right in the middle of my 2 lens and If your looking fora 1 lens kit it is your BEST choice. It's price is right, some lucky soles get one for less than $300 on ebay.
Anyway I hope this helps. I'm looking forward to seeing the pocs from you trip!

You might also consider some used options.. sometimes with luck and diligence.. you can find some excellent deals. Back before I had the funds for some wonderful Canon lenses, my exo-de facto walk around "kit" was a

Tamron 35-105mm f2.8 (old, slow AF, noisy, optically good, fast), matched 2x teleconverter, and Canon f1.8. Camera body was an Elan IIe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back