• Manual

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • Auto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
I use LP mode :biggrin:

Aperture priority most of the time - except when shooting macro then its manual mode all the time.

Aperture priority 90% of the time.

When I shoot macro I need to be able to set my aperture and shutter speed to set values depending on how I am shooting - my aperture tends to be at around f13-16 whilst my shutter speed depends on how I am positioned - if standing up handholding 1/200 - if sitting on the ground or resting against a support I can go into lower speeds like 1/25sec without blur problems. I use a flash (camera mount) to give me enough light at these settings - but I could not get these specific settings through aperture or shutter priority modes without taking longer to fiddle with the exposure compensation - so manual is quicker.
Also working with flash in general I find it easier to get what I want with manual - though currently I have little experience outside of macro with using flash on a regular basis

Manual 90% of the time and split the difference for the rest depending what effect I'm after or need. I have been doing a bit more aperture priority lately though.

When I shoot macro I need to be able to set my aperture and shutter speed to set values depending on how I am shooting - my aperture tends to be at around f13-16 whilst my shutter speed depends on how I am positioned - if standing up handholding 1/200 - if sitting on the ground or resting against a support I can go into lower speeds like 1/25sec without blur problems. I use a flash (camera mount) to give me enough light at these settings - but I could not get these specific settings through aperture or shutter priority modes without taking longer to fiddle with the exposure compensation - so manual is quicker.
Also working with flash in general I find it easier to get what I want with manual - though currently I have little experience outside of macro with using flash on a regular basis
Thanks for that explanation. That actually makes a lot of sense. Not that I tweak settings too much with the mostly mundane shots I take but I have been using exposure comp where I could be using manual in some cases. There is something more hands-on and direct about adjusting both the shutter speed and aperture.

I ALWAYS shoot in the ON position.... 100% of the time....

I find pictures are underexposed every time I trust my camera and try shooting in the "OFF" position....

99% manual. Shutter priority for sports which I shoot *very* rarely. Most of the time I shoot things that don't move.

It's surprising to see how popular AP is.

I think aperture priority mode is popular as most people can associate a specific aperture to a corresponding depth of field and also because it changse shutter speed as the light changes -- which is very easy to miss if you shooting only in manual and if your shooting quick subjects (ie people, wildlife, cars etc....)

Av, M when I can't use Av for whatever reason.

Can someone please explain the advantages of using manual mode on cameras with AP and SP/TV modes that also have exposure compensation settings?? I think I'm missing something here :confused:.
For me, I don't have exposure lock. Well, I do, but it's the same as my focus lock. I have a yellow Lab and when shooting her outside, the meter will way over expose if I'm in Aperture priority. I already have my camera dialed down to -1 EV as I've found it shoots best like that. I don't want to be messing around with the EV value constantly. In manual, I meter something like the grass, the sky, or the back of my hand, then set the camera and leave it. That way, shooting the dog, shooting the kids and their sometimes white clothing, the camera isn't confused in aperture priority and overexposes.

100% Manual...Wait*Edit* 98% Manual and some Shutter priority( not much though.
This is the one I don't get. I would think it would be easier to set the DOF you want, then increase the ISO if you don't get the shutter speed you are needing. I didn't think that shutter speed was as critical in a shot (assuming sports or shooting fast moving subjects of course) that it needs to be dead on. I would think I would still want a specific DOF, then set ISO to get the range of shutter I wanted. I'm just a noob at this though, so.....

For me, I don't have exposure lock. Well, I do, but it's the same as my focus lock. I have a yellow Lab and when shooting her outside, the meter will way over expose if I'm in Aperture priority. I already have my camera dialed down to -1 EV as I've found it shoots best like that. I don't want to be messing around with the EV value constantly. In manual, I meter something like the grass, the sky, or the back of my hand, then set the camera and leave it. That way, shooting the dog, shooting the kids and their sometimes white clothing, the camera isn't confused in aperture priority and overexposes.
Forgot about that. I think most of my cameras have exposure lock, but it sure isn't easy to hold the shutter down half-way and hold down another button just to keep the exposure from changing. Especially on my F3HP with its 80/20 centerweighted metering where tiny movements can change the shutter speed in AP mode. Luckily, that one has decent placement of the exposure lock button, but on that one I'd probably try manual before messing with the awkward exposure compensation settings.

but it sure isn't easy to hold the shutter down half-way and hold down another button just to keep the exposure from changing.
I had assumed that most if not all dSLR cameras had a separate button for exposure lock, and I had assumed that you did not have to hold it down. Interesting....

I need to get me one of these darn dSLR cameras, grrrrrrrr....

I had assumed that most if not all dSLR cameras had a separate button for exposure lock, and I had assumed that you did not have to hold it down. Interesting....

I need to get me one of these darn dSLR cameras, grrrrrrrr....
I've only used the exposure lock a couple of times on my D40 but, if I remember right, the default setting has you holding it down the whole time but then you can change it in the menus to stay locked without holding the button. I am pretty sure none of my analog slrs (N70, FG20, F3HP & Miranda Sensorex) allow you to just press the button without holding it, though I could be wrong about the N70. I haven't checked for exposure lock on any of my P&S cameras and I'm not even sure any of them have that feature :lol:.

Most reactions

Back