what to buy

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This seemed like the ideal place to post this...

I need a simple FILM camera for my wife who is not at all photographically inclined. Why film you ask? She will mostly be shooting pictures of the grandson with it. I gave her a small digital and it was terrible for that. There just is no latitude in digital, a little too much reflective surface and the light is way the hell off. I know it would be in film but I can correct it in film. Not to mention the snaps looked so cheezy in digital.

So here are the requirements. Autofocus.... Auto exposure outside... auto flash inside...(actually could flash all the time as far im concerned) zoom not important at all since 90 percent will be within fifteen feet... Small enough to fit in her purse... (old lady's big purse). 35mm since I have a decent scanner for that size film.

If you will give me a few I can research them. I prefer to buy new if that's any help. OH one more thing she is not going to focus or set anything so keep that in mind please.

Does anybody have any experience with these toy cameras....

Perhaps a flash equipped disposable? They are inexpensive and take surprisingly decent photographs. Just a thought.

There are not many film-based point-n-shoots left. APS film format is dead, so that pretty much leaves 35mm.

Canon SureShot series is pretty good.

Leica CM, although pricier.

Olympus still makes the Infinity 80 QD, a nice one, and the ever-popular Stylus series.

Pentax has the IQ Zoom series.

Of these, I'd probably lean towards the Olympus Stylus. But I'm sure they're more than capable of doing what your wife requires.

Personally, my wife gave up her nice Fuji pns awhile back and got a Nikon Coolpix 995, and although it is digital, she's been very happy with it.

I see the Yashica T4 often rated highly. I know some pros that like to keep this as a pocket camera. It's not made new anymore, but you could probably get one for about $100-$150 on eBay.

Disposable no thanks buy ten parties worth and I paid for a good little auto focus point and shoot.

I found a canon sureshot that freestyle has new.

Im giving it some thought. Im kinda afraid of ebay these days. I still get some pretty good big cameras, but some junk as well. It has gotten to be a sight unseen yard sale now. Too many people are pulling out things that used to go to goodwill and selling them on ebay... I see the "I don't know anything about this, but it looks good" or "It worked when I last used it five years ago." Those used to mean something now if you see that it is just a toss up. Nobody wants to go out on a limb but me. I do know how to check a camera, so I check mine and I guarentee it. I will even return the postage. Why should the buyer pay to throw it in his trash can? I might buy one there but it will be one I feel comfortable with. I would feel more comfortable with a point and shoot than with a auto focus from ebay.

The disposable suggestion was just that, simply a suggestion.

Your reply to my post suggests that the skill level of the wife is beyond that of a general point ‘n shoot photog. Perhaps she would be better suited shooting an older model film SLR? My back-up film rig is a Nikon N80, and I love it. It lacks a “full auto” function, but operates quite well in aperture and shutter priority mode. Metering is always spot on, regardless of mode.

Again, just a thought... :wink:

I did not mean any offense about the suggestion just stating my reasoning for not doing that in the first place. My wife had been around cameras thirty years she knows them but is too lazy to use them.

She actually needs me to shoot everything, but alas that isn't always going to be possible. I have a few slrs around but they won't fit in her purse.. That's her priority not mine.

Auto focus is as well, I dont own a auto focus camera... The auto exposure is again the same she can match needles but it's too much trouble. Film because it the flash burns I can fix it better on film. My wife is a trip lol.

Again I was not belittling your suggestion just stating my reasoning for not going that route. The same with an older slr I have range finder 35mm even. If I am going to shoot something like a party I pull out my minolta 700 with bag o lense that I have used three times. I try not to shoot family gatherings. Anyway thanks for the input sorry if I didn't sound appreciative I assure you I am.

markc said:
I see the Yashica T4 often rated highly. I know some pros that like to keep this as a pocket camera. It's not made new anymore, but you could probably get one for about $100-$150 on eBay.

The Yashica was my first film camera years ago. It worked well and was small enough for a purse :D

If your wife can't shoot with a point and shoot digital, I don't think she's going to have much luck shooting with a p+s film. Just my 2 cents.

SeanL said:
If your wife can't shoot with a point and shoot digital, I don't think she's going to have much luck shooting with a p+s film. Just my 2 cents.
I think that's making a leap. Film is definitely more forgiving than digital to exposure issues. And the cheapo digital cameras I've played with just plain suck compared to cheapo film cameras.

Wigwam Jones said:
Olympus still makes the Infinity 80 QD, a nice one, and the ever-popular Stylus series.

The Stylus Epic gets my vote. I'd recommend it over the zoom models for it's fixed f/2.8 lens. Personally I prefer my old XA2 for it's zone focusing. For some reason since first using SLRs I don't trust autofocus when I can't confirm it (i.e. on a p&s), but that's just a personal thing; my Stylus Epic has very very rarely misfocused, and its autoexposure is very reliable too. It has automatic indoor flash, don't worry about that - it always wants to use it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back