What To Get - Need Advice

Another vote for the D40. As mentioned earlier, in most instances, megapixels don't matter. I printed a 12x18" print that looks excellent. You could probably go even bigger than that. The D40 with the 18-55mm lens (the VR lens would be a plus) would be perfect for a beginner to get the basics down. I've had it for over a year and still don't feel the need to upgrade (now wanting to upgrade, that's a different story). I bet you and your wife wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a picture she takes with the D90 vs the D40 (unless it's above ISO 800, and I've still taken some pretty impressive shots at 1600). Another plus of the D40 is that if she decides photography isn't for her, you're out less money.

Also, another vote for the book Understanding Exposure.

Good luck.

Thanks for the 2 suggestions so far. The price on the D40 is very nice but I know she wanted something with a little higher megapixel. I know nothing about cameras so not sure what the difference is. Just know what shes been talking about these last few months.

Craig.

If she's coming from a point-and-shoot, any DSLR will be a huge upgrade. Even a D40, which is starting to look pretty dated in the ISO department, absolutely demolishes just about any point-and-shoot in low light. As for the megapixels, I think any of us would take a 6mp DSLR over a 12mp point-and-shoot. She'll forget about megapixels as soon as she zooms in on the first shots on her computer.

Devil's Advocate

If you can't afford the D90 now and that's what she wants, why not give her a gift certificate for $600. You can get a D90 body for $800 these days and a 50mm f/1.8 lens for about $100 and have a really nice start.

The D40/D60/D3000/D5000 will not auto focus lenses without a built in motor, so the money you save now could potentially cost you more in the future if you need auto focus.

The D90 she wants is much better at high ISO, has dual command dials, more direct access buttons (instead of going through menus), can control wireless Nikon Speedlights, and more...

I too love the D40/D60 line of cameras, but they ARE limited... a D5000 would at least get you the high ISO performance (and video).

Last edited:
I vote for the D40 as well. It's a trade between more pixels and high ISO performance - I'd pick high ISO performance every time. You don't need more pixels for most applications. You can buy a D40 and 18-55mm lens for about $440. That is a great price. You are such a sweet husband I think your wife is very fortunate to have you!!!

Here is a link to the thread of photos here on TPF that were all taken with Nikon D40, which might be dated in the ISO department compared to what? Curent technology D90 @ $1,000.00

Not knocking the D40 or its low-light capabilities, just trying to make the point that unremarkable performance on a digital SLR is light years ahead of just about any point-and-shoot I've seen. Be honest- the D40's high ISO is not remarkable these days (and neither is my D200- in fact, that camera never was in the ISO department).

The D40 is actually a better High-ISO camera than the new D3000. If money is tight, look for a refurbished D40. For family photography, I'd rather have the D40 AND the SB 600 Nikon flash than just a D90 body. Most of the lenses she will want will have an in-lens focusing motor, so the differene between a D40, D40x, D60, D3000,and D5000 will be moot points anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back