what tripod to get?

I was going to bring this topic up. I have a cheapo tripod, and let me explain my biggest problem. When I move the camera to focus on a specific subject, then I tighten or fasten it in place, when I let go the camera moves dramatically. Thus it's so hard to get it to stay where I want.

I am curious to know if this problem is even existent in higher end tripods.

that usually means you need a better head...

I was going to bring this topic up. I have a cheapo tripod, and let me explain my biggest problem. When I move the camera to focus on a specific subject, then I tighten or fasten it in place, when I let go the camera moves dramatically. Thus it's so hard to get it to stay where I want.

No

Can you explain? I mean the one I have is a ball and head, but still does this. What components on a manfroto will prevent this?

No

Can you explain? I mean the one I have is a ball and head, but still does this. What components on a manfroto will prevent this?

Sorry...that was a very abrupt and non-explanatory answer.

Really, when it comes to tripods, you really do get what you pay for. The leg strength, ability to adjust, the plate that attaches the camera to the head, etc. are all important factors.

The fact that your tripod and/or head moves after being initially secured is an obvious problem that I believe you would solve with better quality legs and/or head.

When evaluating tripod legs and heads, you need to evaluate each separately. You can mix/match based on your needs and preferences, including how the legs adjust, how the head adjusts, weight capacity, etc.

My tripod is extremely solid with my heaviest lens mounted. When I secure the ball head, it will not move. I have the Manfrotto 055XPORB with Manfrotto 488RC2 head. It runs ~$300 (although on sale now and you can get for about $275). For me, it satisfies my cost/benefit expectations.

is it normal for tripods if they are angled a bit down to "fall" down all the way? like for it to let go and point down if camera is a bit down? if not, i need a new tripod :(

No

A common problem with lower and mid priced ballheads. Rarely an issue with a decent mid-priced pan/tilt head.

But, ballheads are all the rage and pan/tilts are "old fashion". Go figure.

I find those small mini-tripods and bendable gorilla more useful than carrying around a large tripod. In many places tripods arent even allowed.
I have taken awesome shots of Niagara Falls with a mini-tripod.

Most reactions

Back