What was your first camera?

The price, including lens, was $400 in 1964 dollars although I got $100 off as a Honeywell employee.

Ouch, some people may not understand this... but as an example, a brand new 1964 Buick Riviera (a "wow" car back then) loaded with all available options, listed for $4500 bucks and you could walk off the lot with it for $3700! To spend that amount today is the equivalent of spending $6000 for a camera today... no small amount today, nor then. ;)

The first camera I "owned" was an Olympus OM-1. It had been my moms camera in college and then she gave it to me when I expressed interest. My granddad taught me the basics of photography on that camera. After that I was given a Minolta Maxxum5 when I was still young. However, as I got older and in high school I lacked access to a darkroom and dropped out of photography until I bought myself a Sony A100 in January of '08. January of '09 I upgraded that to the A700.

I don't use the Minolta anymore, but I do still use the Olympus that I learned on.

The price, including lens, was $400 in 1964 dollars although I got $100 off as a Honeywell employee.

Ouch, some people may not understand this... but as an example, a brand new 1964 Buick Riviera (a "wow" car back then) loaded with all available options, listed for $4500 bucks and you could walk off the lot with it for $3700! To spend that amount today is the equivalent of spending $6000 for a camera today... no small amount today, nor then. ;)

A month before getting the camera, I paid $2450 for a brand new 1964 Chevy Malibu convertible. It was loaded (it had a radio). Just think - my camera was 1/6 the cost of my new car!

What was your first camera and how old were you when you got it?

What was the first camera that you bought yourself?

My first was a Kodak Brownie at age 5. Then I got to play with my dad's Argus (with supervision ;))

The first one I bought was a Minolta SRT 101. Just before heading to Daytona Beach. :lol:

Mine was a good ol Pentax K1000. What a workhorse. Sometimes I miss the simplicity.
Brownie and Pentax k1000 were my first two cameras.

Most reactions

Back