What went wrong?

Good to know.. None of my lenses has IS... i guess that is a good thing, I would have used it wrong LOL.

When the photos shown on the original post were taken VR was off...

Use a smaller aperture, it makes no sense to me to be at that focal length, and that aperture in the middle of a bright sunny day. I assume you cranked that shutter up to compensate for the aperture and available light. So bring the shutter down, shoot with a smaller aperture, and you should be at a better place.

I think VR is only useful at 1/80th or slower. If you are shooting sports you should be at a faster shutter speed. In this case the VR will not help. One thing to consider is that using a 70-300 and a D90 arent going to compare to a D3 and a 300 2.8. Im sorry it doesnt provide the same results. The autofocus on your lens is slow, I saw a few guys using the 80-400 at a race one time and I asked why they use it. They said it works great, so I tried it on a D3. The lens is useless in auto sports.
Use the af-c and matrix metering and auto wb. If its really sunny then use the shady barn icon. I like that much better depending on what color the jerseys you are shooting.

Regarding the use of the smallest aperature posssible...my reason for using it is to follow what I consider a cardinal rule of sports photography--minimal DOF to throw the background out of focus so when you view the phtotgraph you are focused on the subject. But I am going to go to f8 today to compensate for the apparent shortcomings of the lens.

I think VR is only useful at 1/80th or slower. If you are shooting sports you should be at a faster shutter speed. In this case the VR will not help. One thing to consider is that using a 70-300 and a D90 arent going to compare to a D3 and a 300 2.8. Im sorry it doesnt provide the same results. The autofocus on your lens is slow, I saw a few guys using the 80-400 at a race one time and I asked why they use it. They said it works great, so I tried it on a D3. The lens is useless in auto sports.
Use the af-c and matrix metering and auto wb. If its really sunny then use the shady barn icon. I like that much better depending on what color the jerseys you are shooting.

Thanks for the reply. I get how the lenses do not compare...can you educate me on how using the D3 over the D90 is going to reslult in better photos?

Thanks for the reply. I get how the lenses do not compare...can you educate me on how using the D3 over the D90 is going to reslult in better photos?

The Full-Frame Advantage

also the D3 has more focus points in which the camera will focus on your subject much much quicker. the d3 is a work horse, it is designed for photojournalist / sports photograhers. the d90 is designed for people just starting out. im not a pro talking down im just saying how the two cameras differ. i shot a race onetime with a d80 and after shooting with a d3, ill never never use anything less(maybe a d700 gripped).

Nothing wrong with shooting at 2500th at 5.6, if the iso isn't being pushed way up. As far as using a monopod, that's just personal choice, I hand hold my 400 2.8 without any problems, weight is relative to strength. I prefer to use a prime lens for shooting, just find them sharper than alot of zoomers. The Nikon 200-400mm f4 is a nice lens, but expensive, and you'd get more use out of a 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4 converter, it all comes down to what you want to spend.

Doesn't sound you like you have a real grasp on the equipment you are using, or a soild understanding of how to shoot, as far as settings go.

Nothing wrong with shooting at 2500th at 5.6, if the iso isn't being pushed way up. As far as using a monopod, that's just personal choice, I hand hold my 400 2.8 without any problems, weight is relative to strength. I prefer to use a prime lens for shooting, just find them sharper than alot of zoomers. The Nikon 200-400mm f4 is a nice lens, but expensive, and you'd get more use out of a 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4 converter, it all comes down to what you want to spend.

Doesn't sound you like you have a real grasp on the equipment you are using, or a soild understanding of how to shoot, as far as settings go.

On the bold You are 100% correct.
Today's adjustments led to some improvements...not as sharp as I'd like but prehaps I'm at the limit of my equipment's capabilities...while flawed these are priceless to me because #30 in the first photo and #28 in the second are two of my sons!!!
533267_277460789003863_100002198315252_660752_727201354_n.jpg

524093_277461015670507_100002198315252_660763_312373820_n.jpg

Last edited:

The Full-Frame Advantage

Great link thank you

Most reactions

New Topics

Back