What's the best all around iso setting for a dslr?

Changing the ISO won't make your photos brighter or darker, unless you shoot strictly in manual.

My rule of thumb is to keep the ISO a low as possible at all times...unless I need to either shoot with a faster shutter speed or use a smaller aperture (without sacrificing shutter speed).

It sounds like your problem is with metering.

Changing the ISO won't make your photos brighter or darker, unless you shoot strictly in manual.

My rule of thumb is to keep the ISO a low as possible at all times...unless I need to either shoot with a faster shutter speed or use a smaller aperture (without sacrificing shutter speed).

It sounds like your problem is with metering.

probably. just got this thing and still figuring it out

I'd say there really isn't any. ISO rates the sensitivity of the sensor to light. The higher the ISO the greater the sensitivity, the greater the sensitivity the less light is required for a proper exposure. The trade off for greater sensitivity is noise (grain) ... the higher the ISO the more noise.

Your choice of ISO will effect which shutter speed you use, which aperture you use or both.

Each sensor has a "native ISO" ... this is the ISO which delivers the best Image Quality (IQ) in terms of noise (least) and dynamic range (most). For the Canon 5D sensor I believe it's at ISO 160 (but this may not be true for all/other Canon sensors).

Generally , one will adjust the ISO to match the lighting conditions and allow one to handhold the camera without creating blur. In low light one would adjust the ISO up ... in bright light one will adjust the ISO down (typically the lower the ISO the better the IQ).

This is just general info ... ISO affects and effects all aspects of exposure and consenquency is not easily or completely explained in a post or two.

Gary

PS- For starters a good ISO for most lighting (for a beginner) would be 200 to 400.

G

What iso should be set if I wanted to shoot my son running towards me or past me?

What iso should be set if I wanted to shoot my son running towards me or past me?
As low as possible unless you need a faster shutter speed.

thanks

so if i need a higher shuter speed to freeze frame should i put the iso up?

cool thanks for your time

GreenGhost,

You're really asking about two different things: ISO, and why your exposures are either too high or too low.

I know most of the others here will say change your ISO to suit conditions, but generally keep it as low as possible ... and I (generally) agree. But - contrarian that I am - I use ISO 400 all the time, on both my cameras ... unless there's an overwhelming reason NOT to. Of course, I've tested both of my primary cameras extensively, and found that 400 works wonderfully for both of them. You would need to do the same before making a similar decision.

Now, on the other question: I agree with Big Mike. It sounds like you're not using your metering correctly, or your meter isn't working properly, or you're trying to shoot everything in Auto.

We need more info to make a considered recommendation. Like - under what circumstances are your pix overexposed? Ditto for underexposure. Are you using flash? What kind of camera?

ok mr. Sandspur, I have change my iso setting to 400 and gonna go out a take 100 pics tomorrow of different stuff and see what i think.

I'm looking forward to it

Daytime? Night time? indoors, outdoors? With or without flash? The son running towards you is not going to be a factor... ambient or artificial light level... is :)

ok mr. Sandspur, I have change my iso setting to 400 and gonna go out a take 100 pics tomorrow of different stuff and see what i think.

I'm looking forward to it

Higher the ISO, the more grain your pictures will have. Thats an automatic given. Some cameras have incredible high ISO performance, others... don't.

Thats why we have things like the D3 for the people that have money... and Noise Ninja for those that do not... lol.

Daytime? Night time? indoors, outdoors? With or without flash? The son running towards you is not going to be a factor... ambient or artificial light level... is :)

outdoors nice day not too bright

Jols, aren't you a pro wedding photographer, or am I just mistaking your name with someone else?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back