Whats the biggest challenge you have when it comes to lighting?

Tim Schlecht

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm wondering who else has challenging issues when comes to lighting. Mine is shooting with on camera flash, you can never really control a 100% it always looks over lit.
anybody have some tips.
Thanks
Tim

Mine is creativity; I tend to fall back on easy, safe lighting patterns rather than exploring new and different ideas. With respect to the use of on-camera flash, there are two things that will help you produce much nicer light: One is the use of a diffuser; something as simple as a sheet of toilet-tissue or a piece of "clear" Tupperware over the flash can make a world of difference. The other is flash exposure compensation (FEC). If you're shooting in TTL, then use FEC to reduce a half or 2/3 stop of flash from the exposure. Using the two together can work wonders!

Mine would be not having my favorite type of lighting 100% of the times I would like to shoot. That would be ideal. Golden hour with those subtle rose colored tones. That is not too much to ask for....is it? I prefer to not use any flash, just a reflector.

Lighting women in a way that makes them happy.

Controlling the weather and the location of the sun -- maybe if I changed my name to Joshua.

As for on-camera flash; just don't -- trying to make good light out of bad light is a losing proposition.

Joe

I'm wondering who else has challenging issues when comes to lighting. Mine is shooting with on camera flash, you can never really control a 100% it always looks over lit.
anybody have some tips.
Thanks
Tim
IF you have a proper speedlight I'd recommend learning how to use bounced flash. Neil Van Neekerks book "On Camera Flash Techniques" is a short, concise book that will have you shooting damn near like a pro by the time you're done with it. ;)

For me, my problem with lighting usually comes about when I run out of lights. 5 is just not enough!

Controlling the weather and the location of the sun -- maybe if I changed my name to Joshua.

As for on-camera flash; just don't -- trying to make good light out of bad light is a losing proposition.

Joe
There is absolutely nothing wrong with on-camera flash if you know how to use it.

Amelia, Natasha, and Cinderella
by tltichy, on Flickr

Leah, Dinner Candid, Akershush Restaurant in Norway Pavilion; Epcot.
by tltichy, on Flickr

Princess Ariel: Akershush Restaurant
by tltichy, on Flickr

Even the pop up flash can be useful if used correctly.

Charging Past by tltichy, on Flickr

Conch Chica
by tltichy, on Flickr

It's all a matter of knowing how to use it.

Joe
There is absolutely nothing wrong with on-camera flash if you know how to use it.

by tltichy, on Flickr

by tltichy, on Flickr

by tltichy, on Flickr

Conch Chica
by tltichy, on Flickr

Outstanding shots man! Wow! So, how can I get an internship with you? lol

For me it's usually lack of use. I don't use flash very often. Not because I don't know how but I just don't take pictures of people all that often. Then it usually takes me a few minutes to get it dialed in. But mine never turn out quite like the ones above.

Last edited:
My issue with lighting is getting to the location in time to take the shot. It's been crazy here lately, almost every time I've set off to take a photo, something pops up. Last night for example, went to take a light trail pic of the interstate running towards downtown. I left an hour early and still missed it. Even if I made it, it wouldn't have mattered, there was a huge wreck on the section highway I wanted and traffic was bumper to bumper for miles moving about 1 mph. errr.

As for speed lights and lightning, I rely heavily on exposures compensation. I take a few shots and adjust the exposer compensation accordingly.

Joe

by tltichy, on Flickr

by tltichy, on Flickr

by tltichy, on Flickr

Conch Chica
by tltichy, on Flickr

Nice photos. Forgive me for not being more specific: I think of "on-camera" flash as physically part of or attached to the camera hot shoe, the sole/primary light source and directly applied.

Joe

Joe

by tltichy, on Flickr

by tltichy, on Flickr

by tltichy, on Flickr

Conch Chica
by tltichy, on Flickr

Nice photos. Forgive me for not being more specific: I think of "on-camera" flash as physically part of or attached to the camera hot shoe, the sole/primary light source and directly applied.

Joe
In every one of those photos the flash was mounted directly onto the hotshoe. In the bottom two it was aimed straight foward (directly applied), in the others it was bounced off of walls or ceilings.

Joe

by tltichy, on Flickr

by tltichy, on Flickr

by tltichy, on Flickr

Conch Chica
by tltichy, on Flickr

Joe
In every one of those photos the flash was mounted directly onto the hotshoe. In the bottom two it was aimed straight foward (directly applied), in the others it was bounced off of walls or ceilings.

And that is obvious in the photos, eg. first photo the light is coming from their left. If the light source is to the left of the subject and to the right of the photographer I don't call that on-camera flash -- the light on the subjects is not coming from the camera position. In that case it doesn't matter where the flash is it matter's where the light is coming from and the size of the light source (like maybe a wall). It's just a distinction in how you want to define it. Like I said, forgive me for not being more specific.

Joe

Joe

LOL well a meeting of your group doesn't take much space.. What? One booth at the local cafe, or a park bench? :biglaugh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back