• Total voters

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wonder what are everyone's favorite aspect ratio is. I've shot 35mm film cameras and DSLRs for most of my life and so I am very use to the 3:2 aspect ratio. Cameras that I use that are 4:3 such as my phone, I will crop to 3:2. The only reason I might keep it original aspect ratio if the crop cuts of a vital part of the image.

Whatever best fits the image.

3:2:0.5
Why limit yourself to two dimensions?
:D

1:1.41428 ... that's the ratio of the International "A" paper sizes (so my standard prints are A5, A4, A3 or A2)

Reactions: ak_
I'm wonder what are everyone's favorite aspect ratio is. I've shot 35mm film cameras and DSLRs for most of my life and so I am very use to the 3:2 aspect ratio. Cameras that I use that are 4:3 such as my phone, I will crop to 3:2. The only reason I might keep it original aspect ratio if the crop cuts of a vital part of the image.
I'm partial to this:

1:1.618

Phi 1.618 The Golden Ratio - Golden Ratio Phi 1.618 and Fibonacci in Math Nature Art Design Beauty and the Face

Although when cropping photographs I may choose something entirely different.

90% of my prints are 5x7

I picked 16x9 in the poll because I tend to crop most of my photos to that for viewing on my phone or TV, but when printing I'll pick whatever aspect best fits the image or the size I'm aiming for. So really it's just a matter of how it's going to be used, more than what I have a specific preference for.

I often crop 16x10

Like limr, I was quite into the square. I did a lot of work with musicians (and bands) and of course, LP covers are square. But it also worked very well with promo shots, concert posters and such.

Imagine a 8x10 promo sheet with 7x7 photo on it. It leaves you about 2" at the bottom for all the contact info.

Of course, being a dinosaur, this was before the computer in every home and the ease of creating funkier designs that are also affordable to print :angry:

Whatever best fits the image.
I once read that the Mona Lisa had been trimmed on left and right edges to fit a frame the owner had available. I generally go for 8x10 or 10x8, and honestly that is because I can use precut mats. But if the image demands something else, it gets it . . . even if it doesn't get matted and framed.

most of my images are 2x3, but I'm really partial to 3x1. Love me a nice pano

Most reactions

Back