When does it end??

The only lens left on my wish list is a 20mm prime unless I find a deal on the 18mm. The ones on hand are good enough for me and am not planning to upgrade....... anymore........ anytime soon. Maybe go full frame sensor in a year or two. But then there's the lighting stuff.......

NO, IT NEVER ENDS. :lmao:

Welcome to the wonderful world of photography. There will always be another lens or gadget or body or doohicky that you just have to have. If you are new to this then my advice is get out now while you still can (just kidding). Just accept it and go ahead and buy something else.

True. It never ends.

But at some point you can choose to be a photographer and concentrate on discovering and creating new images that satisfy your creative urges, rather than a gadget hound.

I enjoy new stuff as much as anyone. But ultimately the only thing that matters are the images I create.

Unfortunately for most folks, including myself, only get way to get over gear fever is by letting it run it's course and wasting a lot of money on stuff we don't need. The more money you spend the more obvious it becomes that there isn't much correlation between money spent on gear and good photos.

Photography is an expensive hobby. Sometimes it is possible to change your money spending priorities for the better though. Next time a $1000+ luxury lens starts singing it's siren song summon all of your willpower and spend the money on a trip to a photogenic location. Or spend it having your work printed big, matted, and framed so you can fill your house/office. Either can be very inspirational, and my own experience is that they do a lot more for improving my photography than another new lens or camera or gadget.

I'm a sick, sick man...

camcol.jpg

See that 8 lens sequence camera on the 4th shelf up on the right? It shoots 8 frames a little bigger than 35mm on 4x5. I had to have it, and I think I paid $350. I've used it once. :)

Last edited:
...until I arrive in Brazil.

Brazil!!! That's exactly what I'm talking about. Spend your money traveling through Brazil. You're going to get a lot more interesting photographs doing that than because of any new gear purchase. Have fun.

something tells me that what you need next is a bigger set of shelves!
then there is more space for kit :)

As for getting new kit I always say that - unless your a mad camera collector - if you want new kit make sure that you have use and idea of where you will be using it - nothing worse than getting something and then not knowing where to use it..

Also I would recomend paying for workshops as well - internet learning is good but its al retrospective learning in input - the people on the net can't be in the light looking at the scene with you to advise - that is what you get with a workshop - photography clubs and forum meetups can also be good for this stuff and are free- but informal meetings are always subjective and whislt you get the chance to shoot with others you might not get the full attention and teaching that you might with a more formal interaction

Is anybody out there happy with their setup? I have a canon 50D, a kit lens covering a reasonable middle range, and the essentials, (tripod, filters etc) and I feel content with my equipment, in that, I do not believe that my equipment is what needs upgrading. Sure it would be fun to have better glass, but right now I'm content, am I the only one? I guess maybe I should not read these forums, or read about new glass so that I don't catch this bug...!

Run. Run and hide. Don't look back. Plug your ears. Don't listen to anything we say or talk to another photographer, ever. You've got a good thing going.

I'm content enough with my setup now that I don't think I am missing anything that would keep me from taking nice shots. Is there bigger and better? Absolutely. They are all on my wishlist! I have the professional level zooms on my list for portraits and also a macro and fisheye. Can I survive without all of them? Yup. Will I go without? Nope. It's just a matter of time ;)

I'm about buying something when I feel I am limited, not just cause it is neat :)

yes, my hope is that too. That I will only feel the need to upgrade when i find myself looking at my best shots saying 'the only way this could be better is with better equipment. Right now however I look at my better shots, and say this would have been better If I had done so and so, changing settings, lighting, angle etc...

but i will continue to look up lenses and talk to photographers anyway, gotta know whats out there at least :)

I'm content enough with my setup now that I don't think I am missing anything that would keep me from taking nice shots. Is there bigger and better? Absolutely. They are all on my wishlist! I have the professional level zooms on my list for portraits and also a macro and fisheye. Can I survive without all of them? Yup. Will I go without? Nope. It's just a matter of time ;)

I'm about buying something when I feel I am limited, not just cause it is neat :)

up to this point its been because the either a) the kit lens is a slow lens...or b)to better accomplish my night photography.
but the next thing on my list is a SB600 speedlight - because the off brand I have doesn't do anything other than flash - no creative lighting, none of the programatic features that come with nikon brands for nikon cameras - so...far...it's under control...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back