where to buy from

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ipon, Jan 6, 2006.

1. ipon

ipon TPF Noob!

hey guys i'm a newbi.. i'm looking into purchasing a Nikon D50, my question is where is a good place to buy one.
    B&H has this package for $869:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon D50, 6.1 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm DX Zoom Nikkor Lens and 55-200 DX Zoom Nikkor[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]no memory or tripod[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sku=381588&is=REG&EB=272

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]bestpricecameras.com has almost the same thing for $200 last and comes witm memory but seems like it comes with some generic brand lens. what does it mean when they say "brand new and factory fresh"?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]thank you for any advice..[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]bestpricecameras.com:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.bestpricecameras.com/231981-230797-1--NIKON-D50-KIT-#-1-(18-50-&-55-200)-PLUS-EXTRAS.html[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]opinions welcome, thank you in advance..[/FONT]

2. DLL_4ever

DLL_4ever TPF Noob!

Before you buy from a store, especially from an online store, make sure you check out its reputation. You can do that here>
    http://www.resellerratings.com/find.pl

B&H has an EXTREMELY GOOD reputation. It has an average rating of 9.5/10! They're excellent in customer service, shipping, prices, etc.
    http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1914.html

bestpricecameras.com however, has a HORRIBLE reputation. It has an average rating of 0.20/10. Read for yourself some of the nasty reviews they're gotten:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8754.html

Funny enough, i had this exact problem just yesterday :D I wanted to buy a Sony H1 (normally worth $600) for only $324 from a store with a rating of 1.25/10, but fortunately the amazing people here at thephotoforum.com told me about their horrible reputation and how they just scam you for your money.
    B&H is defidentally the right place to get it from... it might be a bit more expensive, but atleast you'll actually get what you order, on time, and without any hasles or problems at all.

3. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Check out resellerratings.com. bestpricecameras.com has a lifetime rating of 0.21 out of 10.0. That's pretty bad, about the worst I've seen. B&H Photo is a better place to make your purchase. They aren't perfect, but they usually do a good job satisfying the customers. They have a rating of 9.20 lifetime. If someone is underselling by hundreds fof dollars you can bet it's a scam.
    I've spent about $2000 at B&H over the last month or so and I'm 95% satisfied.

4. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beat me by that much.....

5. DLL_4ever

DLL_4ever TPF Noob!

/\ haha... :cheers:

6. ipon

ipon TPF Noob!

thanks guys, so bestpricecameras is out of the picture, yea i was filling a lil iffy about them so i asked you guys.

7. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you plan to buy from B&H or Adorama (which you should) click on one of the links at the bottom of the page. It helps support TPF! Which is good...cause we could've just saved you a major headache :mrgreen:

The only other place I can personally recommend is Cameta Camera. They are located in NY also. They don't have an actual web site. Their online service is done through ebay. They are also a very reputable business with great prices and great customer service! Good luck.

8. ipon

ipon TPF Noob!

i will do....:thumbup:

9. DLL_4ever

DLL_4ever TPF Noob!

10. jcharcalla

jcharcalla TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  11. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have bought from both Adorama and B&H, for me both are excellent. B&H is a lot more willing to walk a newbie through the basics, they go the extra mile if you need a hand holding, but they are also very well respected by the best Pro's as well. Adorama I believe gets a poor rating due to a lack of support with the beginning photographer. But otherwise I think they are a good reputable dealer, at least I and my friends have not experienced any problems with there service.

12. ipon

ipon TPF Noob!

well guys i made my purchase with B&H, unfortunitly they close at 1pm today and it probably won't ship till Mon or Tus. oh well i can wait..
    what i forgot to add to the order is the memory card, what kind does it use? thanks all you guys again for helping..