Where to buy used?

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Where should I look to buy used or refurb lens? I'm looking for Canon lens that I can learn and play with, but I don't want to spend a ton of money or get crap...

Any suggestions? Good experiences? Bad experiences?

^ Taking pictures of people, you'll almost certainly want a larger aperture so you can play with depth of field. With landscapes, having a wider aperture isn't as important since most landscape pictures involve a deep depth of field. Unless you're averse to carrying multiple lenses, or absolutely need the flexibility of changing focal lengths on the fly, prime lenses are almost always the way to go.

As for sources, I don't mind buying used lenses from craigslist, really. I mean, it's a lens; as long as the seller lets you inspect it and maybe try it on your camera before you use it, there aren't too many hidden defects that can exist in a camera lens. Camera bodies, on the other hand, are a different story.

I also buy used gear from other forum members. I haven't gotten any from TPF members yet, but I have from other forums, whose members have the kind of gear I'm looking for.

I have bought both camera bodies and lenses. All of it in good condition.

I have bought used from B&H, from KEH.com, and from both private and photo store sellers with used gear on Amazon.com.

Just remember that buying used requires a bit more diligence than buying new.

^ Taking pictures of people, you'll almost certainly want a larger aperture so you can play with depth of field. With landscapes, having a wider aperture isn't as important since most landscape pictures involve a deep depth of field. Unless you're averse to carrying multiple lenses, or absolutely need the flexibility of changing focal lengths on the fly, prime lenses are almost always the way to go.

As for sources, I don't mind buying used lenses from craigslist, really. I mean, it's a lens; as long as the seller lets you inspect it and maybe try it on your camera before you use it, there aren't too many hidden defects that can exist in a camera lens. Camera bodies, on the other hand, are a different story.

Forgive my ignorance, but bigger aperture = smaller f#? I don't really want to carry a lot of lenses everywhere.

Having the prime lens (not zoom) basically means I have to move to get the picture rather than zoom in or out, right?

Forgive my ignorance, but bigger aperture = smaller f#?
Yes, a smaller f-stop number means a wider aperture.
Having the prime lens (not zoom) basically means I have to move to get the picture rather than zoom in or out, right?
Right, or switch lenses.

I've purchased used lenses on: Ebay, Craigslist and from members of this site and knock on wood I've always received exactly what I paid for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back