Where's the Pentax love?

itsbudda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to Ritz Camera the other day to hopefully look at a K-x only to find out that they no longer stock Pentax gear because nobody buys it. I don't get it. They have a massive market of lenses, durable, have a ton of features (K-7 has built in HDR), excellent reviews, are very competitively priced, and are compact and just generally great to hold, but just no one buys. This has probably been asked before but what is it that makes everybody frown upon Pentax?

It mostly has to do with marketing and brand perception. Nikon has had "THE NAME" forever and is instantly recognizable as a quality product. Canon hasn't been around in cameras as long as Nikon but has made itself a name in cameras. Also, a major problem at a Ritz camera - it's a chain and they are mandated by the corporation to be as profitable as they can; most likely a small independent camera shop will have them if they carry Pentax.

Pentax is a name that has been around a long time was known as a quality product but doesn't seem to market itself and have a following the way Canon and Nikon do. I believe most people do not research their purchases and buy on what they see or hear. I'll relate a story about my son and Pentax ... I was interested in Pentax but didn't like my local dealer and when I told my son I was interested in it his response was something like 'Why would you buy anything other than Nikon' ... brand recognition.

Yep, when I was looking I had it in my mind there were only two options, Nikon or Canon. I knew even very well respected brands like Sony made DSLRs, but I never even considered them b/c NOBODY I knew had one. After I purchased my Nikon I did some looking around (backwards, I know) and saw the K-7 and recognized it looks like a great camera. With the (apparent) lack of sales, I don't see how Pentax can even offer a well-made camera at such competitive prices.

Went to Ritz Camera the other day to hopefully look at a K-x only to find out that they no longer stock Pentax gear because nobody buys it. I don't get it. They have a massive market of lenses, durable, have a ton of features (K-7 has built in HDR), excellent reviews, are very competitively priced, and are compact and just generally great to hold, but just no one buys. This has probably been asked before but what is it that makes everybody frown upon Pentax?

Pentax has not been a factor in the market since June 4, 1971.

:sexywink:

Pentax is similar to Pontiac. And Tab. And Tang. At one time, all three brands were popular,thriving,and well-regarded...Pontiac was killed off last year, in 2009. Does Tab still make soda pop? Is Tang, the breakfast drink the astronauts drank, still made???

Pentax is similar to Pontiac. And Tab. And Tang. At one time, all three brands were popular,thriving,and well-regarded...Pontiac was killed off last year, in 2009. Does Tab still make soda pop? Is Tang, the breakfast drink the astronauts drank, still made???

Pentax never was a player, really. They were barely better than Minolta.

Miranda, Minolta, Yashica, Alpa. The only one that was any good was Alpa.

I also recall reading that Pentax were a lot slower to get into the digital SLR market than canon or nikon - so whilst the others dominated the market with digital setups Pentax sort of got left behind with the rest of the film market (at least as far as I have worked out).

I also recall reading that Pentax were a lot slower to get into the digital SLR market than canon or nikon - so whilst the others dominated the market with digital setups Pentax sort of got left behind with the rest of the film market (at least as far as I have worked out).

The problem is much older than that. Pentax stuck with screw-thread lens mount long after it had become obvious that the lens mount was primitive and hopelessly obsolete (dating to the 30s). By the time they switched to a bayonet mount in 1975 or so it was already too late. They sold lots of K-1000s, a primitive beginner's camera; most were sold to students.

Pentax K1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't forget Olympus!

Man... Pentax really screwed up didn't they...

and I am (still) a Pentax fan.

If they just aggressively marketed the 645D back in early 2006 and then followed up with the 40mpx version released 2010 they might have a crying chance at winning market share in the smaller studios as a more affordable studio MF digital. But noo... they shelved the 645D in 2006 and just now released the 40mp one this year in Japan only :banghead:

Then.. they'd have a better market reputation from which to mass sell their DSLR line. Its possible for them to get back on track... they almost did it with the K10D introduction.

Yah I recall reading about the new Japan only DSLR and thought it very odd. I know Japan has a good market but not marketing to a US nor european market really does cut them back in sale potential.

As for Olympus yes they are another underused camera brand, though they apppear to have managed to hold into some of the market and are at least well known. I guess they need some new tech or feature or for nikon or canon to make some mistaken move and lose their market control. That said sony and some others are appearing to push into the camera markets.

Oh lets not forget this snafu:

111270845.jpg

Oh well.. still like them for nostalgic reasons...

I just joined today,so,Hello everyone. I bought a Pentax P30 at a yard sale a few weeks ago.Shot a roll of film with it and they came out OK. I know this camera is pretty old, but I got the camera, a bag, and three lenses for fifteen bucks. Can anyone tell me much about this camera?

Its actually not that old..

Pentax P30 was their consumer level electronic camera from the mid80s. Pentax (along with Canon and others) started experimenting with a different style that was also reminiscent of automotives during that time. One word comes to bind.. BOX.

I'd be more interested in the lenses it came with

I don't think they are anything special. One is a 50mm it says LENS JAPAN on it, one is a zoom lens. It says SIGMA ZOOM 1:45 f 70-210 mm, the other is a Sears 135mm.

The 135 has Macro printed on it.How do I use this feature?

Most reactions

Back