Which camera do you recommend!

Brianperoni81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to buy my first “higher end” digital camera. Looking at either Canon or Nikon. I think I would like something maybe a step up from beginner. Something I can grow with. What do you recommend? Brand and model. Thank you in advance.

.. I would like something maybe a step up from beginner. Something I can grow with.
I'm more familiar with the Nikon line than anything else. Nikon has divided their line into groups and designated them as "entry level", "enthusiast level", and "professional", (as I recall just off the top of my head). So ignore the "entry level", and look for something a bit more upscale.

Go to the Nikon website and check out the levels.

If you would like to "upgrade" and stay within your budget, consider purchasing a good used camera and lenses.

Used is the way to go! One can buy a camera that premiered at $3,699 in 2012 for $550-$759. Check out some of the larger National web dealers, like mpb, which have a large selection.

What do you recommend? Brand and model. Thank you in advance.
As for a specific model, I would recommend the Nikon D7100. Why? Because it is in the "enthusiast" level, and relatively affordable. Or if you want to move up a level, then the D800, both of which are relatively affordable, and both are very capable with advanced features.

Good luck!

Nikon D610 offers an incredible value in a good full frame camera with a great 24 megapixel sensor... the price is fairly low these days and even though it might appear rather old it is probably the best bang for buck. It was derived from the Nikon D600 which is even lower price but has a reputation for debris that collects on the image sensor.

It kind of depends on how much money you want to spend. The D800 is priced about 35 to 50% more than the D610. Another factor is where you want to buy the camera from. It's different price-wise on eBay or Craigslist than it is when purchasing from a large retail company like KEH or MPB.

What's your budget and which features are important to you?

As others have said
Used is a good way to start.
as I use canon I would say the 70D or the 7d in the crop sensor range
And for full frame the 5d mk3 or mk 4
Don’t be fooled by the 7d mk1 or mk2 they are not full frame
I knowI was.
You can use EF lenses on the crop sensor body but the EFS lenses will not go onto the full frame cameras

On the cheap a Nikon D80 would be a good bet. I have a D610, it's a solid camera.

Partial towards the Nikon D7200 for value and lens compatibility. The Nikon AF DX primes—35/1.8, 50/1.8–are pin sharp and very affordable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back